Code39Standard and Code128

BarCodeReadType readType = BarCodeReadType.Code39Standard.append(BarCodeReadType.Code128);
BarCodeReader br = new BarCodeReader(image, readType);

Cannot seam to use Code39Standard and Code128 at the same time if you want the Code128 checksum to be checked and validate the integrity of the barcode read.

Using the br.setConfirmCheckSum(true) I get no Code39Standard barcodes found but it finds Code128 barcodes with no transcription errors If I set br.setConfirmCheckSum(false) it reads both symbologies but the Code128 barcodes sometimes have transcription errors which is not good.

Would like to do both types in the same read as speed is important and doing a separate reads for both types is not ideal.

Is there a solution here?

Hi,

For the sake of testing I am using your sample file from this post. I have also observed that when BarCodeReader.setConfirmCheckSum is set to True then BarCodeReader can detect only one barcode from the two.

I am working on this issue right now. Please share with us if you are using any other sample files.

Regarding the Transcription Errors, their most probable reason is the presence of noise in scanned image. If you have scanned the image on some low resolution then sometimes bars are not clear thus damage the barcode and produce inaccurate results.

"Regarding the Transcription Errors, their most probable reason is the presence of noise in scanned image. If you have scanned the image on some low resolution then sometimes bars are not clear thus damage the barcode and produce inaccurate results."

Totally agree but my issue is that Code128 should not be read if it cannot validate the contents as correct or it should have a flag set to say its read data is incorrect in some way.

Code39 are of less importance to us but contain meta data about certain images we need to collect both symbologies.

Thanks

"Regarding the Transcription Errors, their most probable reason is the presence of noise in scanned image. If you have scanned the image on some low resolution then sometimes bars are not clear thus damage the barcode and produce inaccurate results."

Totally agree but my issue is that Code128 should not be read if it cannot validate the contents as correct or it should have a flag set to say its read data is incorrect in some way.

Code39 are of less importance to us but contain meta data about certain images we need to collect bothsymbologies.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry for replying late.

Actually I was trying to replicate the Transcription Errors for Code128 and so far I have not succeed. I tried by reading the Code128 from your provided Tiff file as stated in my last reply. I also executed the below provided code in a loop of 100, 1000 and 10000. I have not seen incorrect results so far.

JAVA
Image img = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage(“c:\temp\barcodes.png”);
BarCodeReader reader = new BarCodeReader(img, BarCodeReadType.Code128);
while(reader.read())
{
System.out.println("CodeText: " + reader.getCodeText().toString());
}

Moving on to the issue with setConfirmCheckSum method. I have confirmed that when true is passed to this method then BarCodeReader can read only one symbology. I have logged an investigative ticket in our bug tracking system to look further into this issue for the sake of correction/explanation. The ticket Id for your reference is 31627. We will keep you posted with updates on this.

If you are using some other sample file [other than 00000001.TIF] then please provide that to us.

Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply.

The transcription issue only occurred when setConfirmCheckSum(false) with the Code128 type.
I had to do this to get both Code128 and Code39 reading at the same time but obviously couldn’t use because Code128 barcodes were not being read correctly all the time.

So the issue I really need fixed is the ability to read both Code128 with checksum enabled and Code39 at the same time.

I would like this issue fixed ASAP, should I log this is the priority support forum?

Hi Chris,

The issue has already been logged into our issue tracking system as BARCODEJAVA-31627 and the priority of the issue has been raised to 'Priority Support'. We will let you know as soon as the issue is fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have further comments or questions.

Best Regards,

Hi,

We are looking into this matter on priority basis and will update you as soon as it gets resolved.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODJAVA-31627) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.