Complex document elements ignored/corrupted when converting to PDF from DOC or DOCX

We are evaluating Aspose as a potential component of a solution for our customers in which thumbnail images are generated automatically from office documents when uploaded to our enterprise application via a multi-step back end process.
Unfortunately, my preliminary research has shown that while Aspose Word to PDF conversion handles simple documents quite well, the inclusion of anything I’d consider a complex document element is either ignored or represented in an unpredictable, corrupted manner.
The elements I have found to cause problems are listed below, specifically when working with .docx:

• SmartArt
  • Shadows are lost on inserted shapes (related to SmartArt?)
  • Inserted Excel chart is lost

In regards to the unpredictable/unsatisfactory handling of these complex elements, I’m trying to verify if this behavior is
A. A known limitation of the Aspose technology approach to PDF creation unlikely to change in the near future
or
B. A simple defect that can likely be resolved quickly and easily by the Aspose team if made aware of these issues on a specific point-by-point basis.
Any insight shared would be greatly appreciated, as this sort of known limitation/defect makes the decision of whether or not to pursue an Aspose-based solution considerably more difficult. I have noticed similar behavior with powerpoint slides and Excel but have decided to focus on Word issues to start with.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hello

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach your input document here for testing? We will check the problem on my side and provide you more information.
Best regards,

Now attached to original post - sorry for the oversight.

Hi

Thank you for additional information. Your document contains OOXML Chart. Unfortunately, Aspose.Words does not support OOXML Diagrams and Charts. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. We will let you know once this feature is supported.
Best regards,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve noticed similar behavior across Excel and Powerpoint files. Should I ask those questions in the appropriate forums or is it safe to assume at this point that OOXML support is an issue across multiple products right now?

Hi

Thanks for your request. You should ask questions regarding Excel and PowerPoint to the appropriate forums.
Best regards,

Unfortunately, the limitations we’re finding are likely going to force us to go a different direction, as we just aren’t comfortable passing on software to our customers that have such significant gaps. Can we get a timeline on resolution of 6001? That’s absolutely critical for our decision to buy and, quite frankly, your sales person was not at all helpful when we inquired through that channel.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your request. Unfortunately, Aspose.Words still does not support OOXML charts. I added your request into my monthly report, this will increase the issue’s priority. I will notify you as soon as the issue is resolved.
Best regards.

Appreciate the reply. At whatever point where you can give me an estimated timeline for resolution (either privately or on the forum), it would be greatly appreciated. We are working around our own release timelines and will need to make decisions about inclusion of functionality at a number of points over the next few months…knowing when the fix is in/out from your perspective would help us immensely.

Hi

Thanks for your request. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any reliable estimate regarding this issue at the moment. Hopefully, this feature will be supported somewhere in the first half of this year. This is the best estimate I can give at the moment.
Best regards.

Checking in again to see if you still feel that we’re tracking towards resolution before July?
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, I cannot promise you anything regarding this issue at the moment. I added your request to my monthly report, so its priority will be increased. I will notify you as soon as the problem is resolved.
Best regards,

Do we have any updated, Andrey? This is a significant component of some capabilities for our software that we were hoping to introduce in our next release. I’m getting to the point where I have to make a go/no go decision and I don’t have much visibility into whether or not this issue is truly on your radar screen and likely to get assigned resources or not.
Clarification and an update would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your request. Unfortunately, Aspose.Words still does not support OOXML charts. I added your request into my monthly report. This will push the issue up in the priority list. WE will let you know once the issue is resolved.
Best regards.

We pulled the feature from our release because a fix did not seem to be forthcoming. I’d still very much like to pursue for a future release - is there any update on when we might be able to expect the needed fixes/enhancements?
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your inquiry. The next version of Aspose.Words, which comes out in a month or so, will support OOXML charts and diagrams. We will let you know once the next version of Aspose.Words is available.
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 6001) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(29)

Unfortunately, we’re able to recreate the same defective behavior with the file attached to the original post of this thread with 9.4 installed, so I would not agree that this should be marked as fixed.

Hi

Thanks for your request. This fix supposes that DrawingML objects are fully preserved upon open/save roundtrip of DOCX documents. Unfortunately, Aspose.Words still does not support DrawingML upon rendering. We will notify you once this feature is also supported.
Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-3860) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(33)