Convert doc to docx one time operation

In a SharePoint library I have about 200 Word (.doc) documents. With Aspose.words for SharePoint can I convert all these to .docx as a one-time operation? Replace the original files but keep the version history? Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. Sure, please read the following article that outlines how to convert all files in a folder:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/sharepoint/convert-all-files-in-a-folder/

I hope, this helps.

Best regards,

That looks very promising. But doesn’t answer my question entirely…
Let say I have 500 .doc files spread over several folders, having different content types and metadata. I don’t want to move the files to a different folder and I don’t want to the converted files to reside next to the original. But instead in-place convert them to *.docx, replace the original but retaining versions and metadata.
Is this possible? What would happen if I restore an earlier version (when the file was still *.doc)? Are all the earlier versions converted as well?

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. DOC and DOCX are two different file formats. DOC is a proprietary binary format while DOCX is a XML-based format. When you convert a DOC file to DOCX format using Aspose.Words, it doesn’t replace the original DOC with the DOCX; however, it creates a new DOCX file in the destination folder. Secondly, I am afraid, Aspose.Words for SharePoint currently does not support copying metadata from the source document to the converted document. I linked your request to the appropriate issue (WORDSSP-3) in our defect database. You will be notified when it is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,