Convert word to PDF file

We are looking for a plugin in .NET which can convert the MS Office files to PDF. The file size will vary from 10 KB to 50MB. Does Aspose support large file converison

Hi Wayne,

You can use Aspose.Words to convert Word documents to PDF, Aspose.Cells to convert Excel documents to PDF, Aspose.Slides to convert PowerPoint documents to PDF, Aspose.Diagram to convert Visio documents to PDF and Aspose.Tasks to convert MS Project files to PDF. You can also use Aspose.Email and Aspose.Words to convert emails to PDF.

There is no limit on file size if you are using our .NET APIs. Please let us know if you want to use Aspose for Cloud instead of Aspose.Total for .NET.

Best Regards,

I am trying to convert an Excel file to PDF, but i am getting an error in trying to do so.

attaching the excel file for your testing. Please let me know if it can manage large file size upto 50MB.

dropbox link of files which had issues.

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Thanks for your posting and considering Aspose.Cells.

I was able to successfully convert your z.xlsx into pdf using Aspose.Cells. It has around 15886 pages and it took 768 seconds or around 13 minutes. The output pdf size is 70 MB.

I have not tested the other file but we once tested Aspose.Cells to generate 3 GB PDF so your other file will also convert fine with Aspose.Cells.

I tested this issue with the latest version: Aspose.Cells
for .NET v8.4.2.7
with the following sample code. I tested it on Windows 7 - 64 bit with 8 GB RAM having Dual Core 2.8 GHz processor.

C#

string filePath = @“D:\Downloads\z.xlsx”;

Workbook workbook = new Workbook(filePath);

Stopwatch sw = new Stopwatch();

sw.Start();

workbook.Save(filePath + “.out.pdf”);

sw.Stop();

Debug.WriteLine(sw.ElapsedMilliseconds);

Console Output:

Hi Shakeel,

Thanks for the reply.
When i switched to higher configuration i was able to convert the file. (i5, 8GB, WIN 8.1) and i was able to convert file upto 45MB. Now i am facing an issue of the PDF file is having blank pages after page number 750. Please have a look.

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Thanks for your feedback and using Aspose.Cells.

Aspose.Cells generates pdf as Microsoft Excel shows the workbook in the Print Preview. So if there are blank pages in the Microsoft Excel Print Preview, then Aspose.Cells will generate the blank pages too in the output pdf.

Please check your excel file in the Microsoft Excel Print Preview and see if there are any blank pages after 750th page.

If you could not find any blank pages in the Microsoft Excel Print Preview, then please provide me your 45 MB file. Currently I have your b.xlsx file which is 39 MB and z.xlsx which is 16 MB.

Hi Shakeel,

We tried it in a PC with better memory. It worked fine.

Another question, how to handle if the excel has multiple sheets and all the sheets needs to be converted to PDF.

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Thanks for your feedback and using Aspose.Cells.

Please provide us your source excel file and the converted pdf via dropbox for our investigation. We will look into it and update you asap.

Hi Shakeel,

We tried it in a PC with better memory. It worked fine.

Another question, how to handle if the excel has multiple sheets and all the sheets needs to be converted to PDF.

Regards,
Balu

Hi Shakeel,

We are pretty happy with the excel conversion and support we received for the queries.

Now we were testing out the DOCX/DOC/RTF, PPT/PPTX file conversion to PDF. When we tried to download the DLLs (Aspose.word and ASPOSE.Slide) from your site. But the evaluation version is truncating the pages after 9 pages. Could you please share a evaluation DLL for us to test larger files.

Regards
Balu

Hi Shakeel,

We were able to convert the power point file also. It seems the Aspose.Words DLL is allowing us to covert only 9 pages. Could you please share a evaluation DLL for us to test larger files.

"This document was truncated here because it was created using
Aspose.Words in Evaluation Mode."

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Please follow http://www.aspose.com/corporate/purchase/temporary-license.aspx to get a temporary license. Once you apply license, your trial versions will become licensed. Aspose.Total license will work in your case as you are using multiple APIs.

Best Regards,

Hi Ijaz,

Thanks for sharing the link. We were trying out with larger word file to PDF conversion. We we tried with a word file with 25 MB and and 10K pages, there was a memory exception. We are testing in Win 8 PC, with 8 GB RAM and i5 processor. Is there any limitation on the file size?

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Aspose.Words builds the document layout in memory before conversion and in normal cases it can take up to ten times memory than the original file size, however in some special cases (like you have 10k pages), the memory consumption can significantly increase.

Can you please share your input Words document to reproduce the issue?

Best Regards,

Hi Ijaz,

As you informed it was something to do with the memory, We were able to test word upto 50 MB in a higher configuration PC.

Another question.

While converting the files (Word, Excel, PPT) as PDF we want to add custom headers to the files. How can this be done? Do we need Aspose.PDF DLL for this?

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

There are two solutions for this issue.

1. Convert your files to PDF and then use Aspose.Pdf to add headers.

2. Use Aspose.Words, Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Slides to add headers/footers and then convert to PDF.

Best Regards,

Hi,

We heard there will be Office 2016 launched soon. Will there be support for it?

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

Office 2016 is not officially supported at the moment however product teams will investigate it once it is released and then try to support it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Hi,

I was trying to add Header and footer to PPT/PPTX file and save it as PDF. I tried the following code.
Presentation pres = new Presentation(Filepath);
pres.UpdateDateTimeFields = true;
pres.UpdateSlideNumberFields = true;
pres.HeaderFooterManager.SetFooterText(“My Footer text”);
pres.HeaderFooterManager.IsFooterVisible = true;

pres.Save(documentDetailDto.Filepath, Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Pdf);

In the code i am able to find the options to add footer, but how can i add header to all slides.

Regards,
Balu

Hi Balu,

I have observed your requirements and like to share with you that PowerPoint does not allows to add header on any slide however one can add header on Notes and Handouts. This feature is not available at the moment. An issue with ID SLIDESNET-36596 has been logged into our issue management system as a new feature request to support the header feature in Notes and Handouts. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

Sorry for your inconvenience,