Converting from PST to EML - Java

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating Aspose Email for Java and I’m looking for a way to extract messages from a PST directly into EML. I’ve been able to extract messages from a PST in MSG format, and then convert from MSG to EML, but this involves writing the MSG file to disk and then reading it back in.

Is there a way to convert from PST to EML without having to first write a MSG to disk?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

I’ve found a way around it but it feels like a bit of a hack…

Instead of saving the MSG file to disk I write it to a ByteArrayOutputStream. I then read that ByteArrayOutputStream back in to a ByteArrayInputStream which I can pass in to create an eml.

ByteArrayOutputStream msgOutputStream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
message.save(msgOutputStream);

InputStream msgInputStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(msgOutputStream.toByteArray());
MailMessage msg = MailMessage.load(msgInputStream, MessageFormat.getMsg());

msg.save( “new_message_file.eml”, MailMessageSaveType.getEmlFormat());

Hi Bradley,

Thank you for using Aspose.Email.

Your method is also right, but usually from MapiMessage to MailMessage conversion, the following code sample can be used:

Sample Code:

PersonalStorage pst = PersonalStorage.fromFile("Outlook.pst");
FolderInfo folderInfo = pst.getPredefinedFolder(StandardIpmFolder.Inbox);
MessageInfoCollection coll = folderInfo.getContents();

for (int i=0; i<coll.size(); i++)
{
    MessageInfo msgInfo = (MessageInfo)coll.get(i);
    MapiMessage mapi = pst.extractMessage(msgInfo);
    MailMessageInterpretorFactory.getInstance().getIntepretor(mapi.getMessageClass()).interpret(mapi).save("DestFolder//" + i + ".eml", MessageFormat.getEml());
}

Please let us know if we can be of any additional help to you in this regard.

That works perfectly, thanks very much. I was hoping there would be a way to perform the conversion like this.

MailMessageInterpretorFactory

. getInstance ().getIntepretor( mapi.getMessageClass() )

.interpret(mapi).save(“DestFolder//” + i+".eml", MessageFormat. getEml () );

This Code is not working in java.email 18.9, is there any different method to use “MailMessageInterpretorFactory” class.

@pradeepnegi,

Please use the code snippet given below to save EML file.

MapiMessage mapi = pst.extractMessage(messageInfo);
mapi.save("DestFolder\\" + i + ".eml", EmlSaveOptions.getDefaultEml());

We hope that this answered you question. Please feel free to reach us if additional information is required.