Converting PPT to PDF worked in 17.4 but never completes in 17.7

We found a huge slowdown in export times between 16.8 and 17.4, so we tried the latest 17.7. However this version never completes or if it does I didn’t want long enough 10min.

Attached is the file. It has 10 slides each with a WMF image. In the previous version it only took a few seconds to export.
NETCO.ppt.zip (228.9 KB)

@nuix,

I have observed the information shared by you. Can you please share if you are using .NET or Java API on your end. I have tested using Aspose.Slides for .NET and export to PDF goes to long sleep. Can you please share the conversion time taken while exporting to PDF using 16.8 and 17.4 on your end. Please also share the System and Operating system details on your end as well.

Hi Mudassir,

We run on Mac, Windows and Linux using the Java API.

The PC I’m doing my testing on is Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz with 12 cores.

Export time 32013ms over 10 runs using 16.9.0
Export time 21945ms over 10 runs using 17.4
17.7 its still running after 2hrs.

These times are the average over the 10 runs.

Nick

@nuix,

Thank you for sharing additional details. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-36548 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be fixed.

Thank you.

I left it running overnight and it finally completed, probably just after I left. Since this is 2.1 hours in milliseconds. This seems excessive to me.

Export time 7696867ms over 1 runs using 17.7

@nuix,

Thank you for sharing the details. I have associated information in our issue tracking system.

Hi Mudasir,

Its been a few weeks and I wanted to check if there has been any progres?
I see a link at the bottom of the page saying its blocked by SLIDESJAVA-36548, but obviously I don’t have access to your Jira to see why.

Regards
Nick

@nuix,

I have observed your comments and regret to share that at present the issue is still unresolved. Actually, the issue is blocked owing to missing implementation in other issue of Aspose.Slides for .NET. So, it is going to get resolved in .NET issue first and then in this issue. The issue involves complex implementation and I have also requested our product team to share further feedback regarding the issue. I request for your patience till the time further feedback is shared by our product team and issue gets resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Can you please provide a rough ETA on when this serious bug will be fixed? We are an enterprise customer and it has been 24 days when we first reported this issue.

@nuix,

I have verified the issue status from our issue tracking system and regret to share that issue is blocked owing to missing implementation in Aspose.Slides for .NET internally. Our product team will be resolving the issue in Aspose.Slides for .NET and then porting to Aspose.Slides for Java. I request for your patience till the time the issue gets resolved and feedback is shared by our product team.

Your reply is the same as your last one. As a paying enterprise customer you need to provide a rough guideline as to when this will be resolved and in which release. Can you please get this information. This helps us a lot with planning our own releases. Thank you.

@nuix,

Please accept my apologies for inconvenience. I like to share that concerned internal .NET issue has been scheduled for investigation during Week 37/2017 and after that we will be able to share further feedback with you. As you have mentioned that you have also availed Enterprise customer support as well. You can share this issue in Paid Support Help desk as well to expedite the issue resolution.

Hi - it is 10 weeks after “week 37” and still no response. Can you please share an update?

@nuix,

Our product team has investigate the issue in detail on their end. Actually, the performance depends on number of graphic primitives and in case of NETCO.ppt, one of its metafile has about 40000 XOR raster operations and many other operations.

In Aspose.Slides for Java 17.9, we fixed the “hang” issue when rendering metafiles, but the performance of 16.9 has not yet been achieved.

For NETCO.ppt and using Aspose.Slides

• 16.9 takes 20 sec
  • 17.7 takes more than 2h
  • 17.9 takes 86 sec

The performance of metafile rendering has decreased compared to version 16.9, because since version 17.1, a number of errors related to rendering metafiles have been fixed (added the ability to handle additional metafile operations).