Converting word to PDF in linux

Can you please specify the requirements to do the conversion in Linux ?
I see from previous posts that it is required to set the fonts directory.
I did that and now get an IllegalStateExeption end of file reached.

Which fonts are required in Linux ?
It is critical to us that Aspose works in a Linux environment as this is our deployment platform

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your request. TrueTypeFontDirectory should contain fonts, which are using in your document. At least this folder should contain one valid TrueType font. Please try creating folder, put there few valid MS TrueType fonts (Arial and Times New Roman, for example) and specify this folder as TrueTypeFontDirectory. Please let me know if this helps.
Also, please make sure that you application can read fonts from this folder.
Best regards.

I’ve copied the fonts from Windows and that seems to work.
However, now our application depends on the installation of those fonts on Linux.
what is the standard Linux font package that should be used ?
We are running SUSE Linux enterprise.

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. I think you can follow instruction proceeded here to install Microsoft core fonts:
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
Hope this helps.
Best regards.

Hi,

since we don’t want to have separate code setting different font directories for windows and Linux, we need a way to package the fonts within our delivery.

So that I can package the fonts into my classpath and Aspose will be able to load them from there.

Can you support this ? or provide a workaround ?

thanks

Hello,

I second this request. In some cases, on both Windows and Linux, it can be useful to specify the font directory.

Regards,

Hi
Thanks for your inquiry. I think, you can include fonts in your package and on first execution or upon installing you can unpack these fonts into a temporary folder. Then just specify this folder as TrueTypeFontsDirectory.
Please let me know if such approach is not suitable for you.
Best regards.

That’s not a very nice workaround- the path would still be different between windows and Linux.
Easier would be to put the truetype fonts dir into a java system property- but we want to avoid required configuration.

But what we are looking for is a way to load the fonts from the classpath so that we can package them in a jar and package them with the application, that would make it transparent to all platforms.

Could you add this feature in your next release ?

thanks

Hi

Thank you for additional information. Your request has been logged in our defect database. We will consider adding such feature in one of future versions. We will notify you as soon as the issue is resolved.
Best regards.

Hello,

We are currently evaluating Aspose.Words .NET on Linux running Mono 2.6. So far, it’s working great. The only problem we face is that, unlike the Java version, we cannot set the font directory. I believe you should add this functionality, especially since it will be missing in the autoported Java version.

Best regards,

Hi David,
Thanks for your request. Yes, you are right, we are planning to add a public API to specify TTF font’s directory in .NET version of Aspose.Words. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as it is resolved.
At the moment Aspose.Words expects fronts to be in /usr/share/fonts/ttf directory:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/system-requirements/
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 10499) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(55)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-3639) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.