Create PostScript (PS) Files from Word Documents using C# .NET or Java | Convert DOCX to PS for Printing

Hi
I am currently evaluating the word product, and I am very impressed indeed. However I need to integrate with a document print manager - that requires the file to be delivered in postscript format. Can your application create a .ps file or have you another tool to do this.
Many Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

I’m afraid rendering a document to Postscript format is currently unsupported. We do have this feature on our roadmap, however since it is complex and not all that popular it is postponed until a later a time which is unknown at the moment.

In any case, I have linked your request to the appropriate issue in our database (WORDSNET-3995) so you will be informed of any developments regarding this feature as soon as it happens.

Please let us know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks,

Hi Adam
Not taking this news as a set back I have found away to creating both PS and PCL files using your software - and as chance would have it I can only get the PCL5 version to work. I have used any old print driver that creates PCL5 and set it up as my default printer and used the following code - seems to work OK

// Print the file
// ============== ....

System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings ps = new System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings();
ps.PrintToFile = true;
ps.PrintFileName = letterHeader.PrintFileName;
doc.Print(ps);
// ============== // Equally I could have set the printer name via "ps.PrinterName"

Couple more questions:

• An image included in the word template document came out completely black
  • Also do you support the execution of embeded VB Scripts, and/or Macros

Many thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for this additional information.

It’s perfect you found a solution to your problem. As long as it’s suitable for you then you can use a printer driver to create the post script. Just to clarify, the issue that is linked to this thread is for direct conversion of documents to Postscript in Aspose.Words without the use of a printer driver.

Note that using the printer driver might be a bit slower since the document is being rendered, translated to postscript and then printed to file.

Regarding your additional queries. Could you please attach the document you are having image trouble with? I’m afraid that Aspose.Words does not support executing VBA macros.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-3995) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(10)

Hi,

does this mean that native conversion is now supported ?

BR

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your inquiry. Sure, you can now save the document in the PS (PostScript) format simply by using the following two liner code:

Document doc = new Document(@"C:\Temp\out_0.docx");
doc.Save(@"C:\Temp\out.ps", SaveFormat.Ps);

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan

@pabradford, @ecms,

Starting from the 13.8 version, Aspose.Words supports rendering DOCX, DOC, RTF files etc to PS format. Please use the latest versions of Aspose.Words for .NET and Aspose.Words for Java APIs to convert Word documents directly to PostScript (PS) file format. For example, the following C# code will create a book fold in the PostScript format.

Document doc = new Document("Paragraphs.docx");

// Configure both page setup and PsSaveOptions to create a book fold
foreach (Section s in doc.Sections)
{
    s.PageSetup.MultiplePages = MultiplePagesType.BookFoldPrinting;
}

PsSaveOptions saveOptions = new PsSaveOptions
{
    SaveFormat = SaveFormat.Ps,
    UseBookFoldPrintingSettings = true
};

// In order to make a booklet, we will need to print this document, stack the pages
// in the order they come out of the printer and then fold down the middle
doc.Save("PsSaveOptions.UseBookFoldPrintingSettings.ps", saveOptions);

The PsSaveOptions Class can be used to specify additional options when saving a Word document into the PostScript (PS) format.