Creation of new Project object causes SIGSEGV JVM crash (JAVA)

Hi,

We’re getting the following error after creation new Project() object based on specified *.mpp file:

example.mpp.zip (2.9 MB)

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00000001082ac036, pid=64136, tid=0x0000000000005603
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_241-b07) (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.241-b07 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.dylib+0x4ac036]  Parse::array_addressing(BasicType, int, Type const**)+0xa6
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /hs_err_pid64136.log
#
# Compiler replay data is saved as:
# /replay_pid64136.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

This error forces JVM to shutdown and kill application immediately

The error occures after second iteration of for loop in main method:

public class App {

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
		for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
			byte[] data = Files.readAllBytes(Paths.get("example.mpp"));
			new Project(new ByteArrayInputStream(data));
		}
	}
}

We are using: ASPOSE.Tasks 20.1, Java 1.8.0.241

@SoftwarePlant,

I have observed the issue shared by you. An issue with ID TASKSJAVA-1096 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be fixed.

@SoftwarePlantm,

We have investigated the issue on our end and it always reproduces this bug. It is bug in JVM 8 and we have reported this error to Oracle. As a workaround we can recommend you to run your code on a newer version of JRE. For example, it works fine without crashes on JRE 11.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as TASKSJAVA-1096) have been fixed in this update.