Default font not applied entirely in XLSX to PDF/A-1a conversion

Hi,

We are evaluating Aspose for converting different document formats to PDF/A-2a (or PDF/A-1a in this case).

There are some font (?) issues when converting an XLSX file to PDF/A-1a in Java on Ubuntu 18.04. Even though a default font is set, it is not applied in all places of the output PDF file - some of the text appears in squares. I have attached the input and output files. xlsx-to-pdf-a-1-a.zip (814.7 KB)

Sample code:

PdfSaveOptions options = new PdfSaveOptions();
options.setCompliance(PdfCompliance.PDF_A_1_A);
options.setDefaultFont(“DejaVu Sans”);
options.setCheckWorkbookDefaultFont(false);
options.setOnePagePerSheet(true);

Workbook workbook = new Workbook(“input.xlsx”);
workbook.save(“output.pdf”, options);

Could you please take a look?

Thank you!

@t.dobreva sorry I cannot reproduce your issue, I’m using the latest version of Aspose.Cells API (v23.4.0), I recommend you to update to the latest version of the API.
Alternatively, you can check for font substitutions in your document by implementing the IWarningCallback interface.

@eduardo.canal

I am also using the latest version of Aspose.Cells Java - 23.4.

I checked the font substitutions with IWarningCallback as you suggested, and I get warnings such as:

Font substitution: Font [ Calibri; Regular ] has been substituted in Cell [ A1 ] in Sheet [ Start ].

However, I see font issues in text boxes, text in cells seems okay. I don’t know if I should expect warnings for issues with fonts in text boxes?

I did another test - I edited the text box in the lower right corner of the Start sheet to use the default font that is set in the code sample (DejaVu Sans), and it was converted fine in the PDF (first page of the PDF). Please, see attachment: textbox-with-default-font-appears-okay.zip (740.4 KB)

Do you have other ideas?
Thanks!

Just to clarify the issue a bit more on the fonts of the text boxes that appear in squares in the converted PDF - these fonts are not available in the OS. My expectation was that they would be substituted with the default font set in the Java code (DejaVu Sans, which is available in the OS), but it does not appear like they are substituted.

I am sorry if the issue was not clear enough before.
Thanks!

@t.dobreva
Thank you for the additional information, I managed to replicate the issue.
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): CELLSNET-53256

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

@t.dobreva
Your issue has been resolved and the fixed functionality will be released with version 23.5. If you need this feature urgently, you can also consult our hot fix.
Here is the resulting file I generated using the latest function:
CELLSNET-53256.pdf (45.1 KB)

@duojie.yang
Thanks for the update!
Just to clarify - will this issue be fixed in Aspose Cells for Java, too? We are using the Java API.

@t.dobreva,

Yes, the fix will also be included into Java version.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSJAVA-45369(old id: CELLSNET-53256)) have been fixed in Aspose.Cells for Java 23.5.