Deleting Text from a Document

I have a template document that has multiple lines that can be replaced with text. On occassion, the text that is being replaced might be blank, in that case, I want to delete the whole line, so I do not have extra space in my document.

In my template I have:

{REPLACE1}
{REPLACE2}
{REPLACE3}

Lets say {REPLACE1} and {REPLACE3} get replaced with valid text, but {REPLACE2} is nothing, how can I delete the line that replace 2 is on?

I can trap the fact that {REPLACE2} is nothing, but what command do I need to issue against the document to tell it to remove the whole line? I have tried replacing {REPLACE2} with chr(8), but I get an error indicating I cannot use control characters.

Is there a way to delete this line if I don’t need it?

Thanks,

John

Hi,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

So is the text to replace located in different paragraphs or just in different lines? Please attach the template for better understanding.

I would be 90% confident saying they are separate paragraphs, as the user who is creating the template probably hit the enter key after entering each replace value.

I realize this is not the best workaround but this is all I’ve come up with so far. Try to remove all empty paragraphs after replacing:

doc.Range.Replace("{TEST3}", string.Empty, false, false);

NodeList paras = doc.SelectNodes("//Paragraph");

foreach (Paragraph para in paras)
{
if (para.GetText() == ControlChar.ParagraphBreak)
para.Remove();
}