DetectFileFormat Suggestion

Hello,
I’ve asked the sales about www.fileformat.com a while ago and they told me that the collection of DetectFileFormat functions from Aspose products will be offered as a separate product (kinda)
However, the details were not final, going to license the Email Net product, and will need Aspose Zip accordingly, but will need to get Aspose Zip only for its DetectFileFormat function, so this was great news for me.
However, they pointed out that perhaps there will not be a separate product and it’s just a sales/licensing thing, a special kind of limited license that will only unlock DetectFileFormat function from these products:

Cells
Email
Imaging
Words
Zip

Three things to consider:

1. To use them all just for their DetectFileFormat functions, will need to import and embed + deploy all their dlls, 50 to 80 MB just for 5 dlls, making the final build larger (and maybe harder for some users) to publish.

2. What if a specific file is detected as rar by one component and as text by another one? (just a sample, a quick test revealed that) so complex situations, if all DetectFileFormat functions get collected in a single dll, the final decision will be made internally and getting the result .Unknown will be final. (the only negative effect is for the developer to commit all the 5 products monthly changes -if applied to DetectFileFormat- into the separate product ; not an issue, can be done using VS or automated builds)

3. When using Aspose Email Net, there are 3/4 formats that seem useful but not there, xml, txt, htm and rtf, reason: directly related to working with emails, when loading files not based on their extension, but contents, or streams, they exist in other Aspose components, but not a single person on earth will order a professional sdk with that pricing for just a DetectFileFormat function, while will gladly get the single separate product…

This was just an idea of the upcoming product, if you find it useful…

However, any kind of release is welcome, just any idea if this will be out in 1~2 or max 3 months?
Thanks all :slight_smile:

@australian.dev.nerds,

Could you please share thread URL or email where they told you a separate product based on the collection of DetectFileFormat functions only can be offered?

1. Yes, it’s true. You have to use/embed whole libraries for the task. All APIs/libraries target specific file formats and features, so how could we trim down versions to detect file formats task only for your custom needs. We never got any such requests from other users.

2. I guess you can devise this in code to evaluate which file formats would be detected by which Aspose API.

Anyways, we will analyze your suggestion and check its feasibility. We will discuss with the teams internally and get back to you.

Hi,
not a thread, an email, and as I mentioned, they still were not sure of the final decision, already mentioned that is not finalized yet!
Not my case, just imagine a case which all Aspose APIs are going to be used, ie Aspose Total
Cells ; Email ; Imaging ; Words ; Zip
And a user pass a heavy file on a slow non-ssd drive, imagine how long it will take, although it’s the nature of the job…
Just my thought :slight_smile:

@australian.dev.nerds,

Thanks for sharing your further comments and thoughts.

We are sorry but currently we don’t have a plan to provide trimmed versions of the APIs just to detect file formats.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!