I have a special use case related to working with complex Excel files, and I was hoping to see if the Aspose Cells product could help with this:
- We develop a WinForms application that utilises SpreadsheetGear .Net component to load up an xlsx template.
- Our users can then use the application similar to Excel; they can add their own worksheets to the template, enter their own custom formulas, etc.
- When writing their own custom formulas, they can inadvertently create circular references, which we recommend for them to avoid.
- Since SpreadsheetGear doesn’t have its own circular reference detection feature, we had to develop our own that tries to list all the cells in the circular reference. It leverages the installed version of Excel on the users machine for this.
- This is not a very efficient process, as it takes a very long time. Sometimes with complex models, it cannot even tell us where the circular references are located (similar to Excel, when on some complex files, it gives the user the unhelpful message of “Excel can’t calculate a formula because of a circular reference, but it can’t be shown.” and the Circular Reference drop-down list in the menu is greyed-out and empty.)
Could your Aspose Cells product be used to build a function in our application to detect, and then list the circular references in a file that is faster, more stable and accurate than Excel?
- Are there any known limitations on the type of xlsx files that Aspose Cells can process? (e.g. compatibility with formulas, file size, etc)
- Do you have any code samples for this specific use case?