Document keeps being marked as "Evaluation Only. Created with Aspose.Words. Copyright 2003-2022 Aspose Pty Ltd"

Very old working Licensed configuration, now expanding to include another application with another bin folder.

Desired Task: Using Word product open a docx file, edit some bookmarks and save as PDF.

Undesired result: Save as PDF generates PDF, but with the “Evaluation Only. Created with Aspose.Words. Copyright 2003-2022 Aspose Pty Ltd” Message and a truncated document.

C# Language Usage. Setup both the PDF and WORD Licenses in code

Aspose.Pdf.License licensePDF = new Aspose.Pdf.License();
    licensexcel.SetLicense("Aspose.PDF.lic");

Aspose.Words.License license = new Aspose.Words.License();

Originally used the plain : license.SetLicense( “Aspose.Words.lic”)

Upon the document being marking as eval, tried the stream technique. Stream has data, so the license file is found.

Aspose.Words.License license = new Aspose.Words.License();

MemoryStream stream = new
      MemoryStream(File.ReadAllBytes(@"Aspose.Words.lic")))                
 license.SetLicense(stream);

Still marks the file with the evaluation banner. Tried the latest version from Nuget.org version 22.9 has same outcome.

I then uninstalled version 11 and 15 of the PDF/Word client software from my developer workstation, same outcome.

I then decided to just save the document as a Word ( docx) and that even got an eval stamp.

We have been updating our licenses for many years now. Has the format of the license file changed?
Without giving away any private details, Here is the Word Lic file ( PDF is similar) , from what I can tell our licenses are good until next January and the license file is being found. Do we have some kind of version mismatch?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<License>
  <Data>
    <LicensedTo>Honda North America Inc.</LicensedTo>
    <EmailTo>********/EmailTo>
    <LicenseType>*******</LicenseType>
    <LicenseNote>Up To 10 Developers And Up To 10 Deployment Locations</LicenseNote>
    <OrderID>******</OrderID>
    <UserID>755304</UserID>
    <OEM>This is not a redistributable license</OEM>
    <Products>
      <Product>Aspose.Words for .NET</Product>
    </Products>
    <EditionType>Enterprise</EditionType>
    <SerialNumber>******/SerialNumber>
    <SubscriptionExpiry>20230105</SubscriptionExpiry>
    <LicenseVersion>3.0</LicenseVersion>
    <LicenseInstructions>https://purchase.aspose.com/policies/use-license</LicenseInstructions>
  </Data>
  <Signature>*******</Signature>
</License>

Thanks for the help
Ed

@EdObedaHonda Please check the following points:

• Make sure your call to SetLicense gets executed. Step through in the debugger.
  • Make sure your code does not catch an exception thrown by Aspose.Words licensing code. For example, Aspose.Words will throw if it cannot find the license.
  • Make sure the input documents do not already have the evaluation message. Aspose.Words does not delete existing evaluation messages.
  • Make sure SetLicense is executed before you instantiate any Document object.

Also, the problem might occur because new license is used with old version of Aspose.Words. The licensing mechanism was improving since 17.10.0 version. So the new licenses might not work with old versions of Aspose.Words. So you should use your old license with the old version of Aspose.Words and new license with the new version.

Hi,

Did all your standard “fixes”., still not working.

How do I go about getting a copy of the newer license files?

Thanks
Ed

@EdObedaHonda You already have it - the license file you have shared in the initial post. Which version of Aspose.Words do you use in your application? Does SetLicense method throws any exception?

Unfortunately no exceptions, only the eval stamp on the output.

Any options to create a debug log or something similar?

Thanks
Ed

All stop !

I found an interesting issue on my side. Let me check it out before you spend any more time on this.

–Ed

The issue turned out to be that the base Word Docx file, before opening it with Aspose to populate and print to PDF, had the red eval stamp message included in it.

Lesson Learned, Check your source document is what you are expecting it to be

Embarrassing, but having done tech support before, it is good to get confirmation on what was the issue, so you can help others.

Bye for Now
Thanks for the help
Ed

1 Like

@EdObedaHonda Thank you for confirmation that the issue is resolved on your side. Please feel free to ask in case of any issues, we are always glad to help you.