Document_Open macro no longer fires

Hello,

I am in the process of evaluating Aspose.Words for a project I’m working on.
The product looks great so far, but in the list of known issue I stumbled upon this :

Aspose.Words preserves macros (VBA project) existing in a Word document
without changes, but when the document is opened and saved in
Aspose.Words, the Document_Open macro no longer runs when the document
is opened in Microsoft Word 2000 and 2002. In Word 2003 and Word 2007
macros are run correctly when document is opened. This is a known issue.

Unfortunately this is a blocker for us as we still have older Office versions installed and need to have some macros fired when the .doc is opened by the user.

Is it possible to have a status on this issue ? Our plannned release date is the end of the year and this issue seems to have been there a long time. We might consider to buy the product if we can be sure it will be fixed by then.

Regards,
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your request. Could you please attach your sample documents here for testing? I will check the issue one more time with your documents and provide you more information.

Best regards.

I didn’t have a specific use case and wanted to get general information, but I can find you a specific example if you want to run some tests.

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for additional information. I just would like to know why you use Document_Open macro in your documents. Do you perform some kind of post-processing using such macros? Maybe you can do the same without macros, but using Aspose.Words.

Best regards.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The idea is to let each user have some specific information like its address, and be able to fill in that information automatically when the .doc file is opened by the user.

I guess we won’t be able to do that without using Document_Open macro.

Regards,
Olivier Martin

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for additional information. Maybe, you can fill document with data before sending it to the end user. For example, you can use Mail Merge

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.words-for-.net-and-java/simple-mail-merge-explained.html

I think such scenario is better, than using Document_Open macro.

Best regards.

The information would only reside on the user side. I’m not sure this solution would work but I’ll have a deeper look tomorrow thanks.

Yes in your sample the server has all the information in its database so it can prepare the document without any macro needed.

But in my scenario, the users wish to perform some kind of customization to .doc files generated by the server, for instance the sender address. This must be done automatically when the document is opened, so I guess I still need the macro. This won’t work for Word 2000 & 2002 am I correct ?

Hi Oliver,

Yes, you are right. I linked your request to the appropriate issue. If you will have a chance, please send me your sample document.

Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 829) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.