Does ASPOSE python-via-.net work on Ubuntu 22.04?

We are looking at moving our enterprise to ASPOSE words, using the python-via-.net package.

However, when we install it on Heroku we immediate get “No usable version of libssl found”.

Heroku uses Ubuntu 22.04, which ships with OpenSSL 3.0. OpenSSL 1.1 is not available as a runtime library.

How do we fix this? Is it possible to use ASPOSE with Ubuntu 22.04?

@tca Aspose.Words for Python has few prerequisites to make it work in Linux. Please see System Requirements section in our documentation to learn more.
Please let us know if the problem still persist on your side.

Thanks, do you have a Heroku buildpack with this config?

@tca We will investigate the issue and provide you more information.
For now I have tested Aspose.Words with Ubuntu 20.04 and it works fine. Here is my Dockerfile:

FROM ubuntu:20.04

ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive"

RUN apt-get update -y
RUN apt-get install -y python3-pip
RUN apt-get install -y libpython3.7
RUN apt-get install -y pkg-config libicu-dev

WORKDIR /usr/app/src

# Copy function code
COPY app.py ./

RUN  pip install aspose-words

CMD [ "python3", "app.py"]

Hi Alexey, thanks for your quick answer.

The problem is that ubuntu 20.04 is out of maintenance support in 18 months and most enterprise businesses run on 22.04 now.

From what I can tell Aspose has a legacy dependency on OpenSSL 1.1, which is not available as a runtime library in Ubuntu 22.04, which ships with OpenSSL 3.0.

Can you run Aspose on a modern installation of Ubuntu 22 with the latest OpenSSL security?

@tca On Ubuntu 22.04 it is required to install SSL1. Here is Dockerfile:

FROM ubuntu:22.04
RUN apt update \
 && apt install -y python3.10 python3-pip libgdiplus wget \
 && wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb \
 && dpkg -i ./libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb \
 && rm -i libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/bin/python3.10"]

Thanks Alexey. Doesn’t this downgrade OpenSSL and introduce known security flaws?

@tca Unfortunately, the current version of Aspose.Words for Python does not support OpenSSL 3.0. It will be supported in one of future versions. We will let you know once done.