Embedded video does not open in epub file

Hello,

I have embedded a video in a word document and when converted using aspose the epub reader on my PC shows it as a static object.

How do I get the video to display in the epub reader. I am using calibri epub reader. Is it an epub reader issue or is it an issue with word to epub conversion. I am enclosing a word file with the video loaded inside

Many thanks for an answer,

All good wishes for the new Year 2012

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your inquiry. Aspose.Words identifies the embedded flash video i.e. found in your input document as an Embedded Package object. Upon converting to EPUB, I managed to reproduce this issue on my side. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. Your request has also been linked to the appropriate issue and you will be notified as soon as it is resolved. Sorry for inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I’m afraid there probably isn’t any way to incorporate this sort of functionality into our EPUB export. There simply appears to be no valid way of including a video in an EPUB as the OEBPS specs do not have any support for video content.

There may be a way to "work around’ for this by using a flash object or some HTML5 tags but this would be a “hack”. The first would most likely involve a lot of work to implement an both would most likely work only with certain eReaders (most likely iBooks) and not with Calibre at all. Therefore there probably isn’t any solid way to implement such video support using the current EPUB specs. I will let the HTML developer take a look at this and confirm before closing this issue though.

In the future I hope the next version of EPUB will provide native support for such video content. In the mean time you may want to look into hosting the video online and simply providing a hyperlink in your EPUB to it instead.

If we can help with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Hello,

Many thanks for your quick reply. It is as I suspected. However I hope that the new generation of epub readers will provide support for Video and audio-streams as well as for linking an image to an audio to make the -book a truly encyclopedic representation of knowledge and turn it into a useful learning tool.

Many thanks,

Gimley

Hi Gimley,

We also hope for that as well. We will be sure to inform you of any developments regarding your original issue.

Thanks,

Hi Gimley,

I did a bit more research into this and found that the HTML and tags are to be supported in EPUB 3.0 which is good news. I have linked your request to the appropriate issue. You will be informed as soon as we support export to EPUB 3.0.

I’m afraid in the mean time there probably still no rush to support this just yet as there are very few readers who actually support this standard at the time being. There is a free reader called Ibis which may support video.

Thanks,