Enable rendering options on SQL Server 2016 after installing Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services

Hello all.
We are trying to evaluate Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services.
I’ve got a bunch of .rdl reports I’ve already created, and our tech team has installed Aspose.Cells on our reporting server.
However, when I go to export a report, I don’t see any new options.
I’ve searched the forums and read through the documentation, but most of the doc deals with how to build an Excel report, which is not what I want to do.
Do we need to somehow enable the Aspose renderers on our reporting server? If so, where is the doc on how to do this?
Any help is much appreciated.

@johntarr,

Thanks for your query.
Please spare us little time as we are analyzing this requirement and will provide our feedback soon.

@johntarr,

Could you check and provide us following details/information:

1. OS, SQL Server Reporting Services and Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services versions.
  2. Did you install Aspose.Cells or Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services on the server?
  3. If you have Installed Aspose.Cells or Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services, please check rssrvpolicy.config and rsreportserver.config on server.
  4. Please check reporting service log file(s) to evaluate your issue and also provide us.

We will check it soon.

Thanks for the response. I will get with our tech team and relay their answers. I doubt there will be anything in the logs, since it hasn’t actually been ran, just installed.

1 Like

Some answers/questions below.
When you install, is it supposed to automatically install and enable the export rendering options?

1. Windows Server 2012 R2
    SQL SERVER 2016 SP1 (13.0.4224.16)
    SQL Reporting service version same as SQL
    Aspose Cells for Reporting Services 18.2.0.0

2. Aspose Cells for Reporting Services 18.2.0.0

3 & 4) Where are these log files located?

@johntarr,

Please upgrade to Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services 18.11 and let us know your feedback. You can find the log file in Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services installation folder.

We have upgraded to 18.11, and still nothing. Our server administrator wasn’t able to find the logs you’re referring to.

To help clarify, I’m expecting to see an export option on the menu in this screenshot. I believe there is a step we need to do to add the Aspose.Cells export options to this menu.

Export Menu.jpg (20.6 KB)

@johntarr,

Please check whether you have installed .NET Framework 3.5 (which includes 2.0 or 3.0).
Please also check if you have writing rights for ${MS SQL Reporting Services}\ReportServer\bin folder.

Will get with our server folks when I get back after Christmas vacation.
Are you sure there is nothing that we have to do to add it to the menu options?

@johntarr,
Thanks for your feedback. We will get back to you soon to reply your query.

@johntarr,

As we told you, please note:

1. Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.MSI is developed based on .NET Framework 3.5 (which includes 2.0 or 3.0). Please check whether you have installed .NET Framework 3.5 (which includes 2.0 or 3.0).

2. Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.DLL is deployed in ${MS SQL Reporting Services}\ReportServer\bin folder. And, you need to update two configuration files (i.e., rsreportserver.config and rssrvpolicy.config).

In short, we need to check .NET Framework version and access rights.

NET version.png (33.3 KB)

.NET 3.5 is installed, and we have granted write access to the ${MS SQL Reporting Services}\ReportServer\bin folder.

I do not see the two configuration files you referenced (rsreportserver.config and rssrvpolicy.config). Where would they be, and what changes do I need to make to them?

@johntarr,

Thanks for the screenshot and confirmation.

1. Could you provide us the two files, i.e., rssrvpolicy.config and rsreportserver.config resided on the SQL Server installation folder (the files should be in the SQL Server reporting services installation directory on the server, e.g ".\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\ReportServer"). Moreover, see the document (especially XML code/contents) on what changes should be there in these files: Using DLL Only|Documentation
  2. Also, check and provide us reporting service log file(s) to evaluate your issue.

We will check your issue soon.

rsreportserver.zip (6.4 KB)

I’ve attached the two files. Let me know if we didn’t add in the XML correctly.

As for the log file, we are still not able to locate them. What path should we be looking under?

@johntarr,

We are checking shared data and will update you soon.

@johntarr,

Thanks for the files.

This is strange as you find the issue where rendering options are not added to the list/drop down in your environment (Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL SERVER 2016 SP1 (13.0.4224.16), Aspose.Cells for RS v18.11). I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSRS-543” for your issue. We will investigate why the rendering options/extensions are not added when you launch report manager. I checked your both files which looks ok to me. In “rsreportserver.config” file, registration of Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services as rendering extension is ok and listed fine. Also, in “rssrvpolicy.config” file, the “<CodeGroup>” entry to give Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services permissions to execute in full trust is added ok. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know here.

Sounds good. Thank you.

@johntarr,

You are welcome.

@johntarr,

Please check that whether there is Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.dll in the folder(“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin”). Also, check that whether there is some error information about Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services in report server log files (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles”).

There is no “LogFiles” folder in the path you gave.

The Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.dll did not exist in the bin directory. I copied it in from the installation folder, but the rendering options didn’t appear when I tried to export a report. Are there other steps that need to be done?

Is there any way we can set up a call? I’m just trying to evaluate whether this product will do what I want and I feel like this would be a quick fix if we could get on a call and share our screen.