Encryption of pdf document different in Nitro viewer

Hello,

I am using Aspose.PDF.Kit 2011.01.26 to encypt as pdf document as follows:

AspPdfKit.PdfFileSecurity encrypt = new AspPdfKit.PdfFileSecurity(filename, encrypted);
AspPdfKit.DocumentPrivilege privilege = AspPdfKit.DocumentPrivilege.ForbidAll;
privilege.AllowAssembly = false;
privilege.AllowCopy = false;
privilege.AllowModifyContents = false;
privilege.AllowScreenReaders = false;
privilege.ChangeAllowLevel = 0;
privilege.CopyAllowLevel = 0;
privilege.AllowPrint = true;
privilege.AllowModifyAnnotations = true;
privilege.AllowFillIn = true;
encrypt.EncryptFile(myusername, mypassword,
privilege, AspPdfKit.KeySize.x256, AspPdfKit.Algorithm.AES);

This behaves as expected when the document is opened in Adobe Acrobat viewer. However, when the document is opened in Nitro PDF viewer, all of the privileges are set to “Allowed”. Does this encryption only apply to documents that are opened in Adobe?

Thanks.

Hi James,

First off, please try to use the latest version (5.4.0) at your end. If it still doesn’t resolve your issue then please share the input PDF file with us, so we could investigate the issue over here and guide you accordingly.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Attached is my input pdf. Just to reiterate, when I open the output pdf in Acrobat reader, all of the permission levels are at their correct values. When I open in Nitro PDF Viewer, all of the pemission values are at “Allowed”.

Hi James,

Thank you very much for sharing the input PDF file with us. We’ll investigate the issue in detail and update you accordingly.

Regards,

Hi James,

I have also noticed this behavior at my end. In fact, as I can see, all the privileges are shown as allowed both in Adobe Acrobat and Nitro PDF; Adobe Reader shows the privileges correctly though. I have logged this issue as PDFKITNET-25536 in our issue tracking system for further investigation. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once it is resolved.

Regards,

Thank you for that. Is it possible to get a time estimate for the development of a hotfix for this? We have a number of clients that require this functionality and they use a variety of PDF viewers.

Hi James,

As you know, this issue was logged recently, our team still needs to investigate it in detail. However, I have asked our team to share the ETA of this issue. You’ll be updated via this forum thread once the response is received.

Regards,

Thanks, that would be a help.

Hi James,

Our team has further investigated this issue and I would like to share with you that the fix for this issue will be available early May 2011. You’ll be notified via this forum thread once it is resolved.

Regards,

Thanks for the update.

Hi,

I have just noticed an issue with the PDF security levels and I’m just checking if it will be contained in the hotfix. I’m using the following PdfFileSecurity settings:

AspPdfKit.DocumentPrivilege privilege = AspPdfKit.DocumentPrivilege.ForbidAll;
privilege.AllowAssembly = false;
privilege.AllowCopy = false;
privilege.AllowModifyContents = false;
privilege.AllowScreenReaders = false;
privilege.ChangeAllowLevel = 0;
privilege.CopyAllowLevel = 0;
privilege.AllowPrint = true;
privilege.PrintAllowLevel = 2;
privilege.AllowModifyAnnotations = true;
privilege.AllowFillIn = true;
privilege.ChangeAllowLevel = 2;

However, when I open the PDF in Adode Reader, Content Copying and Content Copying for Accessibility are set to Allowed , even though AllowCopy is set to False and CopyAllowLevel is 0. It is important for out customer that all of these security setting work, so I would be grateful if you could let me know if this is covered in the hotfix. Thanks for your help.

Hi James,

I have logged this issue separately as PDFKITNET-26285 in our issue tracking system. Our team will check it and we’ll try to provide a fix for this issue as well.

Regards,

That’s great, thanks.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 26285;25536) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.