Error in Aspose.Html causing Outlook to crash

Hello Aspose, let me start by apologising for the fact that I have zero information to share with you. The only thing I can hope for is that the error below looks familiar enough to someone to be able to figure out what could possibly be going wrong.

The error below doesn’t even tell us what triggered the error in question. It may not even have been our own Add-in; perhaps the user is using another Add-in that also uses Aspose. The only reason I am posting it here is that we do use Aspose ourselves.

Having said that, however, e verywhere we do use Aspose.Html, our code looks a little like the code below (code in VB dot NET, targeting .NET Framework 4.8):

Dim oDoc As Aspose.Html.HTMLDocument = Nothing
            Dim oOptions As Aspose.Html.Saving.XpsSaveOptions = Nothing
            Try
                oDoc = New Aspose.Html.HTMLDocument(address:=sFile)
                oOptions = New Aspose.Html.Saving.XpsSaveOptions
                Aspose.Html.Converters.Converter.ConvertHTML(oDoc, oOptions, sToFileName)
            Catch ex As Exception
                oResult.Data = ex.Message
                oResult.Response = ConverterResponse.unknownerror
                Return oResult
            Finally
                If Not oOptions Is Nothing Then
                    oOptions = Nothing
                End If
                If Not oDoc Is Nothing Then
                    Try
                        oDoc.Dispose()
                    Catch

End Try
                    oDoc = Nothing
                End If
            End Try

As you can see in the code above, we put all the code dealing with a HTML Document in a Try / Catch / Finally block, and even the .Dispose in the Finally part is in a Try/Catch, so I’m not sure I understand how this could lead to an “unhandled Exception”, but this is what we find in the Event Viewer

Application: OUTLOOK.EXE
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
at .()
at .()
at .()
at Aspose.Html.Dom.Node.Finalize()

@kidkeogh

We need to perform some investigation against this case. We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): HTMLNET-4771

We will let you know once we have some feedback after completing the investigation. Please spare us some time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like