Error reading FBX files

Hello

We are using the trial version of Aspose.3D for .NET to assess suitability for integration into a product. I’ve encountered the same error twice now on different FBX files. Both are large (6 and 9 GB respectively). The files were exported from Navisworks.

new Scene()

Fails with the following error:

Illegal property LayerElementMaterial while serializing NurbsCurve

And an obfuscated stack trace.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks
Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Thank you for contacting support. We recommend our clients use the latest version and apply a valid Aspose license. You can get a 30 day temporary license for the testing purposes from the purchase portal. Its option is available in step 4. Please also refer to these helping links: How to Apply an Aspose License and Download Aspose.3D for .NET API

However, if this still shows an error, then kindly send us your source FBX files. It will help us to replicate the same error on our side. You can upload it to any free file sharer server (e.g., Dropbox and Google Drive) and then send its URL. We shall investigate and reply you appropriately. Your response is awaited.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for being patient. We managed to replicate the problem of not being able to import an FBX exported by Autodesk Navisworks. We have enhanced the way of importing FBX files and you can now download and try the latest version 17.5 of Aspose.3D for .NET API.

We have found another problem, if the FBX file is very huge or contains a lot of objects (e.g. video), the render program may fail due to out of memory, this can be fixed by adding hardware instancing rendering. We have logged a feature request under ticket ID THREEDNET-261 to support the hardware instancing rendering to reduce memory usage. Your post has also been linked to this thread and will let you know once a significant progress has been made. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for looking into it - I’ve downloaded the updated assemblies and these files now process correctly.

I’m not using the rendering side of things just now, but it’s good to know that you’re looking into that too!

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the confirmation. It is nice to hear from you that the problem has been resolved. Please let us know in case of any further assistance or questions.

I still have an Out of Memory exception with version 17.7 when opening an 1GB FBX file in Aspose.ThreeD.Scene.Open(…)

Smaller files (65mb) work correctly.

Is your application running as a 64-bit process?

Thanks Ben, That was the issue. I compiled it as an 64-bit application and now it seems to work.

• Edit : Unfortunatly, saving is now the issue and runs out of memory.

I haven’t tried using the Aspose saving functionality I’m afraid - my application was just extracting data from the FBX and writing to a file directly.

My 9GB FBX ended up taking 48GB of RAM for me to process (which required a significant upgrade to my PC). So you might just need to add more RAM or allocate more page file space.

@Geonius,
Thank you for the details. We would like to recommend you, kindly send us your source FBX file, code snippet and details of the machine. We will investigate and share our findings with you.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique

Today I used an other machine and it turns out that, to write an 1GB FBX file takes up 20 GB physical ram and app. 10 GB of swapfile. But at least it works now :wink:

@Geonius,
We are gradually improving the performance and memory consumption issues of the Aspose.3D for .NET API. You can share all details of the use case, so that we could log an investigation to improve this scenario specifically.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique

@Geonius,
In order to test the memory consumption while writing a large FBX file, we have logged an investigation under the ticket ID THREEDNET-284 in our issue tracking system. We have linked your post to this ticket and will keep you informed regarding any available updates.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique