Error with license file

Hi!

Today, I'm getting the following exception, "Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1, position 1."

Dim license As Aspose.Pdf.Kit.License = New Aspose.Pdf.Kit.License

license.SetLicense("Aspose.Pdf.Kit.lic") <---- error is on this statement

I am thinking it's the license file itself as I haven't had an issue for about a year. This error is occuring when I run in debug mode on my workstation. However, on Production and on our QA machine, our programs aren't encountering this error.

We are renewing the license/subscription and so I wonder if this could be due to our subscription.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

This type of issue occurs when the license file is changed somehow. Could you please make sure that you’re using the original license file without any changes? If you still find this issue at your end then please do let us know.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and looking forward to help you out.
Regards,

Thanks. I have the original copy of the license and that did the job.

I think that the file embedded with the one application must have become corrupt.

I removed the bad copy from the VB project and then embedded the fresh copy.

By the way, we are renewing our license very soon. The new license is for Aspose.PDF rather than Aspose.PDF.Kit. I'm just wondering what actions I might need to do. Since there are programs running in our production environment that have the Apose.PDF.Kit license that is to expire, do I need to embed the new license to those applications and then re-release?

Also, should I download the latest version of Aspose.PDF? We only use the PDF printing functionality. We are, however, interested if there have been improvements to the speed in which PDF files can be printed in the latest release.

Hi Michael,

I’m glad to know that the license issue is resolved at your end. As far as your second question is concerned, I would like to share with you that we have merged Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET into Aspose.Pdf for .NET and the former has been discontinued. So, you can use the merged Aspose.Pdf for .NET in place of Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET while upgrading your license.

However, I would recommend you to test your application with the new merged version before moving it to production. We have tried to retain the older interface for backward compatibility along with introducing completely new DOM based API and improving the underlying mechanism.

The following blog posts would be quite helpful to you in this scenario:

• [Seven Good Reasons to Migrate to Merged Aspose.Pdf for .NET](https://blog.aspose.com/2011/07/09/seven-good-reasons-to-migrate-to-merged-aspose.pdf-for-.net)
  • [First Version of Merged Aspose.Pdf for .NET is Now Available for Download](https://blog.aspose.com/2011/07/01/first-version-of-merged-aspose.pdf-for-.net-is-now-available-for-download)
  • Merged Aspose.Pdf for .NET has also Got Improved Documentation

If you find any further questions regarding merged version, you may post your queries in [Aspose.Pdf forum]( Aspose.Pdf Forms).

I hope this helps for now.
Regards,