Excel 2016 xlsx file containing waterfall chart can't be opened

Hello,

I’ve attached an office 2016 xlsx file containing a waterfall chart. When I’m trying to read it using:

var waterfall = new Workbook(“c:\waterfall.xlsx”);

I receive the following exception: “System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: input”.

Can you please tell me if this type of chart is supported?

Thank you,
George Radu
IBM Romania

Hi,

Thanks for providing us template file and sample code.

After an initial test, I observed the issue as you mentioned by using your template file with your sample code. I found that MS Excel 2016 XLSX file containing Waterfall chart cannot be opened via Aspose.Cells APIs. I got the exception: “System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: input”.
e.g
Sample code:

var waterfall = new Workbook(“c:\waterfall.xlsx”);

I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSNET-44747” for your issue. We will look into it to figure it out soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for using Aspose.Cells.

We found that the chart inside your excel file is very different and can only be opened in Microsoft Excel 2016. Microsoft Excel 2013 or lesser cannot open it. We are afraid, we have no plan to support it in near future. Besides, we cannot open the waterfall.xlsx file with Excel 2016 as well.

Hello,

We need to review this case. The bug states that we cannot open files having Office 2016 content with Aspose.

We do not have this problem when opening such Excel files in MS Excel. Waterfall charts are converted to bar charts in older versions of Excel.

Kind regards,
Raluca

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

We have logged your comment in our database against this issue and requested the product team to reconsider this case. Once there is some news for you, we will update you asap by posting in this thread.

Hi,

This is to update you that we are working over your issue. Well, the data model of the WaterFall chart is different from older charts, so it would take some time. We hope we can support it before the end of November 2016.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know here.

Thank you.

Hello,

Do you have an update on this issue?

Hi,

We are sorry that we could not fulfill our promise. Sometimes it might happen (in development) due to complexity involved for the issue/feature and other factors. Anyways, I have discussed your issue with the concerned member of product team. The product team is still working over it and they need more time as it is complex feature/issue itself. Please spare us more time (a month or so). We may provide you the hotfix before the end of this month (December 2016).

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Thank you.
Hi,

We have fixed your issue.

Please try the latest fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v16.12.3 and let us know your feedback.

Please note the above fix is compiled with .NET 2.0, if you need the fix compiled with .NET 4.0, then please download Aspose.Cells for .NET v16.12.3 (.NET 4.0).

Thank you.
Hi,

We have enhanced reading and writing waterfall chart.

Please download and try the following latest fix

Aspose.Cells for .NET v16.12.5 (.NET 2.0) compiled in .NET Framework 2.0.
Aspose.Cells for .NET v16.12.5 (.NET 4.0) compiled in .NET Framework 4.0.

and let us know your feedback.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-44747) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.