Excel File Version Support

Laurence,

As I understand it, you support Excel file versions from 97 - 07. Are there any exceptions to that rule when reading a workbook into memory? How about saving? Does the Workbook.Save() method automatically save as a 2007 file or is there a way to control it?

A customer of ours reported the following:

I tried to save a spreadsheet under an older format: Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls) and then export a template and I received this error:

This Excel files contains BIFF7(Excel95 or earlier file format) records.

I'm assuming this format combines 95 formatting with 97 formatting, so it throws an error.

Thanks,
Natan

Hi Natan,

Well, Aspose.Cells supports BIFF8 or greater file formats. Since your customer's template excel file may contain BIFF7(Excel95 or earlier file format) data. So, the template should be converted to BIFF8 file formats. The procedure is very simple: Open the template file into MS Excel(97-2003) and Save it As..."Microsoft Excel Workbook", now use it with Aspose.Cells and that's it.

Thank you.

@cohenn,

We recommend you to kindly try upgrading to and use latest version of the product which includes support for older BIFF7 (Excel 95/5.0 - 2003 Workbook) formats with enhancements now:

Also, see the document for supported input and output file formats by Aspose.Cells: