Excel to TIFF - Dependency on JAI Image I/O of Aspose.Cells in Java

Does Aspose.Cells for Java have a dependency on the JAI Image I/O library. The readme file doesn't list one. However when I run a findbugs analysis on my project that uses Aspose.Cells it is says the following class is missing com.sun.media.imageio.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageWriteParams.

From my searching this class is part of the old JAI Image I/O library, that Sun used to provide as part of JAI. Is this class used/needed by Aspose.Cells and if so why isn't it listed in the dependent libraries readme file.

Thanks, Ian.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for Java.

For the JAI library, it is only used when user wants to output TIFF files and be taken as an optional functionality provided by Aspose.Cells for Java. Other functions of Aspose.Cells will all work fine without the JAI library. If user wants to output TIFF files, then he needs to add JAI library by himself and then use this function.

I though the JAI was composed of a set of 2 jar files jai_core.jar and jai_codec.jar. The class in question is not in either of those jars, but in jai_imageio.jar which is an addon to JAI and I believe has different licensing than the JAI. The standard JAI supports TIFF as well can those TIFF classes not be used?

Ian.

Hi,

Yes, you are right, JAI is composed of a set of 2 jar files. Aspose.Cells depends on the JAI library for tiff functionality. Other than this, Aspose.Cells does not need JAI library.

The problem I’m seeing is that the class I’m asking about com.sun.media.imageio.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageWriteParams is not in either of those 2 jar files.

Ian.

Hi,

The required jars for TIFF feature are jai_imageio.jar and jai_core.jar.
Not only com.sun.media.imageio.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageWriteParams, but also the
implementation and register for javax.imageio.ImageWriter for TIFF format are in
the jai_imageio.jar. So this jar is essential for outputing tiff images.