Exception when instantiating PresentationEx with a PPTX file that contains a chart

We are using aspose.slides-2.9.6, although I have downloaded an eval version of aspose.slides-6.9.1 and the error occurs in that version too.

We get the following IndexOutOfBoundsException when trying to open a PPTX file that contains a chart:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0>java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0

at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:547)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:322)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.drt.for(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.ChartEx.detectType(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.ChartEx.init(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.ChartEx.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.ShapesEx.if(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.ShapesEx.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.GroupShapeEx.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.BaseSlideEx.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.SlideEx.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.PresentationEx.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.PresentationEx.do(Unknown Source)

I have edited the PPTX file to get it down to one slide, and removed client-specific data, and attached that file to this post. Using this file as follows:

PresentationEx pres = new PresentationEx("C:\\temp\\test.pptx");

Gives a slightly different error:

class com.aspose.slides.d.a.g: Index is less than 0 or more than or equal to the list count.
Parameter name: index
Actual value was 0.
com.aspose.slides.Collections.ArrayList.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.iZ.int(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ChartEx.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ChartEx.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ChartEx.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ShapesEx.if(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.ShapesEx.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.GroupShapeEx.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.GroupShapeEx.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.BaseSlideEx.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.BaseSlideEx.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.SlideEx.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.PresentationEx.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.PresentationEx.int(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.PresentationEx.if(Unknown Source)

It would be good to know if there is, or will be, a fix for this error.

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I have worked with the presentation file shared and have been able to observe the issue specified. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-33750 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Thanks for your response.

• Do you have a timescale for the fix, i.e. when is it likely to be available?
  • We are using aspose.slides-2.9.6 - will the fix be available in a version we can use?
In the meantime, is there a workaround for this issue? All we are trying to do is create a thumbnail from the first slide in the presentation. As the chart that is causing the exception is not on the first slide, is there a way to load only the first slide into memory and process that (rather than loading the entire presentation)?

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin,

I like to share that the issue shared has just been created a day before yesterday and is in waiting queue for investigation. Actually, our development team first consider the issues added in Aspose.Prioirty and Aspose.Enterprise forums as they belong to paid support customers. So, the paid customer issues are scheduled for investigation and then resolution. Then issues from normal support forum like Aspose.Slides and Aspose.Total are selected on first come and first serve basis for investigation. Then based on the complexity of the issue, the issues are scheduled for resolution. As the issue has just recently been created and is in waiting queue for investigation, so as soon as the issue will be investigated then I will be able to share the ETA with you in this
regard.

Secondly, the issues are fixed on the basis of latest available product version and to date, Aspose.Slides for .Java 6.9.1 is the latest. So, your issue will be resolved in latest available version.

I regret to share that there is no work around I may offer you as the issue arise on loading pf presentation, which is the very first step when using Aspose.Slides. Unfortunately, I am not sure whether the chart is causing the issue or not. However, as a work around, you can try removing the chart containing slide in PowerPoint and try loading the presentation using Aspose.Slides if you suspect chart to be cause of issue.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

Can you confirm if there has been a fix created for this issue yet?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have verified from our issue tracking system and like to share that our development team has carried the investigation of the issue. Actually, the same issue has been observed in Aspose.Slides for .NET as well. It will be first resolved in Aspose.Slides for .NET and will then be ported to next subsequent version of Aspose.Slides for Java. We will share the notification with you as soon as the issue will be resolved.

Many Thanks,

Thanks Mudassir, that’s very helpful.

Are you able to give me any sort of time frame for this fix in Java please?
Are we talking days, weeks or months?

Kind regards

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have discussed the issue status with our development team and like to share that the concerned issue will hopefully be resolved in coming release of Aspose.Slides for .NET 7.3.0 and will be ported to Aspose.Slides for Java 7.3.0 subsequently. At the moment the latest available version of Aspose.Slides for .NET is 7.2.0 and for Aspose.Slides for Java it is 7.1.1. So, one can assume that it will be included in May release of Aspose.Slides for Java.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-33750) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan