Exporting PPTX to HTML

While evaluating the Aspose.Slides API I discovered that the default output of converting a PPTX to HTML (using PresentationEx.save method) is not plain HTML but instead is SVG inside a HTML wrapper. SVG is not fully supported by all browsers. Is there a way to force exporting to plain HTML, ie. without any SVG?

I also noticed that the rendered SVG output is not entirely the same as the original PPTX file. IE 10, FF and Chrome all show some text boxes outside the text. Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to control the SVG output?

Thanks,
Herm Flink

Hi Herm Flink,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the inquiry shared by you and like to share that at present there is no support for exporting PPTX to plain HTML available in Aspose.Slides. Aspose.Slides internally exports to HTML by using SVG export. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34247 has been created as a new feature request in our issue tracking system to further investigate the possibility of implementing the mentioned requirement. I also request you to please share the detailed description of your requirement for plain HTML so that I may update the added issue in this regard and check its possibility. Please share that what features you want to use for exporting extended text formatting, how we should (or should not) nesting styles, what features we should use for vector graphics, etc.

For second part of your query, I request you to please share the sample presentation, generated HTML and snapshot of the generated HTML being opened in different browsers by highlighting the differences and issues. Please also share the browsers versions as well.

I will investigate the issue further on our end in light of availability of the requested information to help you further.

Many Thanks,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Attached you can find the corrupted output that I got when exporting the pptx to html. The red boxes indicate the corruptions. The original pptx is also attached. Note that removing the license warning in the generated output did not fix any of the corruptions. The browser version of the screenshot is IE 10. Firefox 27 also shows the exact same corruptions.

What I would expect regarding HTML output is the same kind of output as when you do a Save As HTML from Powerpoint. I cannot further specify this format, but it is sufficient for our customers who use the generated html in a web application. Also note that from Powerpoint 2013, Save As HTML is apparently not supported anymore, so we may be stuck with SVG. In which case we have to inform our customers about the browser version dependency that will be introduced by SVG.

It think this is worth an important note in the documentation of the PPTX to HTML export functionality in Aspose.Slides API. Right now it is nowhere mentioned that the output is in fact SVG embedded in html.

Hi Herm Flink,

Thanks for sharing the further details. I have worked with the presentation files shared by you and have been able to observe the issue specified in generated HTML. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34248 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue.

I have observed your comments regarding the missing information about the embedded SVG inside the generated HTML in online documentation. I have updated the information in online documentation article for more clarity in this regard. Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

I will share the feedback with you as soon as the issue will be resolved.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir Fayyaz,

After investigating further, I have found that the issue only occurs when a textbox is defined with a hyperlink. When the text inside the textbox is assigned a hyperlink or when the textbox has no hyperlink at all, the issue does not occur and everything renders normal.
Can you please provide me with an estimate when a solution for SLIDESJAVA-34248 will become available? Being able to assign a hyperlink to a textbox is often used by our customers.

One more question regarding this subject: if I want the output to scale with the browser window as much as possible while preserving the aspect ratio, how would I do this?

Kind regards,
Herm Flink

Hi Herm Flink,

Thanks for your further feedback. I have added the details in our issue tracking system for further investigation. I like to share that the issue has just recently been added and have also been observed in Aspose.Slides for .NET as well. It will first be resolved in Aspose.Slides for .NET and afterwards, it will be ported to Aspose.Slides for Java. The issue is pending for investigation and resolution in Aspose.Slides for .NET in queue. I will be able to share the feedback with you as soon as the issue will be scheduled for investigation and feedback will be shared by development team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir Fayyaz,

I understand that Aspose made a choice to use SVG for exporting to HTML. However, the generated output does not give much control how the SVG content is displayed. E.g. it is not possible to scale the output with the browser size (see my last question in previous post).

Could it be possible to either:
- enable defining html generation properties that enable resizing the svg content with the browser size
or
- enable outputting the plain SVG without the html wrapper. This way customers can define their own ways of displaying the svg content in custom html (or other formats…).

Either way would help us a lot. For us, the current situation is too limited for implementing Aspose as a ppt to html converter.

Thanks,
Herm Flink

Hi Herm Flink,

I have observed the requirements shared by you and have created an investigation ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-34258 in our issue tracking system to investigate whether it is possible to meet the illustrated requirements using Aspose.Slides for Java or not. I will share the feedback with you in this regard as soon as it will be shared by our development team.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-34248) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.