Exporting to ppt with a sub report

Hi, I am running a report in report manager which has a sub report. It runs fine but when i try to export it to ppt it is giving me an error. I am attaching the error for you reference. If anyone can tell me how to export reports which has a sub report to ppt that would be great.

Thanks

Naveen

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the issue shared by you. In order to reproduce the issue and adding that to our issue tracking system for resolution, I need the source RDL file by using AdventureWorks as data source. I will further work over the issue to help you out. Have you tried Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 4.3.0 on your end. Please also share the SQL Server version that you are using.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

Thanks for you fast reply. I am not sure if i can give the rdl file. I guess this issue can be easily generated. Create a report with all the parameters(country, region, city etc) and create a sub report with a parameter (city) and all the data in the sub report. In the main report all you need to do is pass in all the parameters and when you run the report you need to point it to the sub report. See if you can generate it, if not then i will try to send you the rdl. We can also do a goto meeting if you want to see it.

Thanks

Naveen

Hi, i am attaching the rdl files for your reference. Planning activity presentation is the main report and planning activity presentation SR is the sub report. i am using 4.3.0 and sql server 2008.

Hi Naveen,

I have tried to work over the RDL files shared by you but unfortunately have not been able to use them on my end due to missing table schema. Can you please use Adventure Works as your data source and share the updated RDL files or please share the sample SQL Script for creating table schema and data to be fed in tables for verification. I will really appreciate your cooperation for this.

Many Thanks,

How can i create the AW datasource?

Hi Naveen,

AdventureWorks is a free database available with Microsoft and can be used for testing purpose. Please visit http://www.idevelopment.info/data/SQLServer/DBA_tips/Installation/INSTALL_10.shtml for your kind information. After installing the Adventure Works, you may sue the same database as your data source. When you will share the RDL using the same data source, I will also be able to use your RDL files for my investigation. The other option is that you may please share the SQL script for creating the database tables schema that has been used in your RDL files along with script for populating some dummy data. I will then execute the scripts shared by you to create sample database schema on my end and populate it with sample data provided by you. I will then be able to use your RDL files.

Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi, When i click on the link you sent and try to download the AW it is saying no downloads available. We are using SQL server 2008. Please let me know if i can download it from some other place. Can we do a goto meeting if you are available now?

Naveen

Hi Naveen,

I am sorry for the delayed response. I will appreciate if you may please use option 2 and share the used table schema in the form of SQL script along with script with some dummy table data and populating the used tables to generate reports.

You can also download AdventureWorks from http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/37109 but you will need to conform your report with those of already added sample tables in AdventureWorks. This way when you will send the report using AdventureWorks, it will work on my end. However, I suggest you to please send the table schema with us along with script populating those table. It will be easier to do on your end then to use AdventureWorks and use its tables for your report.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I downloaded the AD Works DB and created a sample report which reflects the report i sent you. I am sending you 3 rdls. ADWorks Test is the main report and ADWorks Dept is a sup report. When you run the main report you show the data in the sub report and when you click on the employeeId in the sub report it will take (drill through) you to another report called ADWorks Drill Pay. When i just run the Drill through report on my end it exports fine but the sub report and the main report won't export. i am also attaching the error i get when i click export in report manager. Hopefully my explanation is good enough to understand. If not please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Naveen,

Many thanks for your efforts. I have worked with the RDL files shared by you and have been able to observe the issue specified when using SQL Server 2008 SP2. However, when using SQL Server 2008 R2, the sub-reports are rendered fine. I have created an issue with ID SLIDESREP-33201 in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi Naveen,

We have further investigated the issue on our end and our development team has not been able to reproduce the issue by using Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 4.3.0. In fact, earlier by mistake I verified your RDL files with Aspose. Slides for Reporting Services 4.2.0 in SQL Server 2008 SP2 environment. But now our development team has verified the successful RDL export using Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 4.3.0 in SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 SP2. I have also been able to verify thee same in above mentioned versions except SQL Server 200 SP1. Can you please share, which version of SQL Server you are using. Please also verify that if you are using the correct version of Aspose.Slides as mentioned above. For your convenience, I have also attached the generated presentations.

Hi Mudassir,

In the AD works rdl's i sent you the reports are exporting fine into ppt. I just can't figure out why i get the error when i try to export the report we have here. Reports which doesn't have any sub-reports are exporting fine. I am using Aspose 4.3 and we have SQL server 2008.

Naveen

Hi Naveen,

Below please observe the SQL Server 2008 instances that I have tested your sub-reports on and have observed no issue while exporting to PPT/PPTX. Can you please share the version of SQL Server that you are using on your end…

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (Intel X86) Apr 2 2010 15:53:02 Copyright © Microsoft Corporation Data Center Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) (Hypervisor)

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP2) - 10.0.4000.0 (Intel X86) Sep 16 2010 20:09:22 Copyright © 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) (VM)

You can simply execute query in Select @@Version in SQL Management Studio to get the version details. Our development team has also not been able to reproduce the issue. We have also released the latest available product version Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 4.4.0 as well and you may test that. But you report should also work with Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 4.3.0 as well.

Many Thanks,

This is the version of the SQL Server.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (X64) Jul 9 2008 14:17:44 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Hi Naveen,

Is it possible for you to please update the SQL Server 2008 by installing SP2 or I may need to request our development team to try making arrangement for the shared environment. As with SQL Server 2008 SP2 we have observed no issue on our end.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I installed the sql server 2008 r2 and i still can't export to ppt. I get the attached error.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (X64) Apr 2 2010 15:48:46 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Hi Naveen,

Its really unfortunate that things are still not working on your end. I have observed the information related to new SQL Server version installed on your end. Our development team is looking in to this issue again and I will share the further information with you as soon as it will be shared by our development team.

Hi Naveen,

Our development team has set up an instance of x64 bit SQL Server 2008 R2 on their end and still there is no issue. There are two recommendations that I would like to share with you.

1. Please try to upgrade your SQL Server 2008 R2 instance from SP1 to SP3. As I have shared here mine version of SQL Server 2008 R2, its SP3 and works fine on my end. Can you please upgrade your version to one I am using.
  2. Can you please share database schema with dummy data with us as this one option left to explore on our end for reproducing the issue.
Many Thanks,

Hi Naveen,

Our development team has also suggested that they can also try to reproduce the issue using RPL files.
To enable export to RPL you need to enable RplRendering extension by setting its Visible attribute to true in rsreportserver.config.

Then export every page of report using “Rpl export” option form export menu in RS. Please remember that it exports only current page of report. So, you may please try to share the RPL files for all pages in Sub Report.

Many Thanks,