Extracting messages from OST and PST files

I’ve looked at every example I can find in your examples and documentation but can find nothing in VB or C# on extracting messages from OST and PST files. Might someone be able to post the code required please? Kind regards, Sean

Hi Sean,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you have faced.

Please refer to our documentation article, Extracting Messages from Outlook PST Files and Save to Disc , for a complete sample code for this purpose. It traverses all the folders of the PST file one by one, extracts the messages from each folder and saves to disc as Outlook MSG file. Please let us know if we can be of any additional help to you in this regard.

Dear Kashif,

Please don’t apologise. It was my fault for missing that article. I have now reviewed it and it is very clear thank you sincerely.
Kind regards,
Sean

Hi Kashif,

I’m sorry to be a bother, but may I ask please: will that same code work for an OST file?
Best wishes,
Sean

I should add that I have seen the Java version of reading OST files on your web site, but converting Java to C# or VB is problematic. Might you have a C# or VB version please?

Hi Sean,

You can use the code sample in the same article for reading folders and messages from an OST file. Please try it at your end and if you face any issue, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Could you advise please whether you support extracting mesages from Outlook 2016 OST and PST files?
Many thanks, Sean

Hi Sean,

The PST file structure is same for all versions of MS Outlook and Aspose.Email API supports any version of PST file. However, the API doesn’t support OST 2013 and onwards file versions. Our product team is investigating the support for OST 2013 format under issue id: EMAILNET-34087. Once the investigation is complete and we have any news about the support of 2013 and onwards versions, we’ll update you here via this thread.

Thank you for this information Kashif. I have read elsewhere in these Aspose forums that Aspose does not support Outlook 2016 because its specifications have not been released (meaning, presumably, by Microsoft). I must say that I do not know why this should present an issue for the technology team of a company of the calibre of Aspose when smaller companies have resolved the issue. I refer you to What is Redemption which explicitly states that Outlook 2016 is supported. I bought Aspose because I believed that I was purchasing the best. It now seems that I must switch to become a customer of Redemption. Very disappointing.
Kind regards, Sean

Hi Sean,

In order to provide support for OST 2013+ formats, we need to know the structure of this file format that is not available at present. At Aspose, it is our company policy not to use any 3rd party API for handling such file formats as we don’t rely on other APIs for our products. Redemption, as you have mentioned, uses Extended MAPI that is the main email data access method used by Outlook as well. Though it doesn’t need Outlook to be installed, still it has dependency on Extended MAPI to read OST 2013 and 2016 formats. Anyways, as mentioned earlier, we are working to read the OST 2013 format under issue id: EMAILNET-34087 and hope that we will soon conclude our findings in this regard. We’ll update you here as soon as there is some information available in this regard.

Thank you for that information. I’m very much looking forward to using Aspose with Outlook 2016 and will wait patiently for your tech team rather than switch to another supplier.
Best wishes,
Sean

Hi Sean,

We understand our customer’s concerns in this regard and that is why we have been looking into this requirement very keenly. Just few days back, we have got some technical information that our Product team is working on to evaluate the possibility of implementing the support for this feature. We’ll update you here as there is some news available about this feature.

Hi Sean,

We are glad to share with you that the upcoming version of Aspose.Email for .NET API supports reading OST 2013/2016 format files. We will be releasing this new version early next week and will update you here as soon as it is available for download.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as EMAILNET-34087) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.