Failing to convert to PDF

Hi
private static byte[] ConvertPdfToPdfDocument(Stream sm)
{
lock (ThisLock)
{
_extension = “pdf”;
}

using (var docStream = ConvertStreamToMemoryStream(sm))
        {
            docStream.Position = 0;
            var docPdf = new Aspose.Pdf.Document(docStream);
            docPdf.Convert(new MemoryStream(), PdfFormat.PDF_A_3A, ConvertErrorAction.None);
            var output = new MemoryStream();
            docPdf.Save(output);
            output.Position = 0;

return output.ToArray();
        }
    }

Nay PDF that I try to convert - Fails to save to PDF 3A

Regards, Mike

@mikesoffice

Thanks for contacting support.

Would you please share your sample PDF document, so that we can test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly.

ProcessDocument.zip (2.0 MB)

@mikesoffice

Thanks for sharing the sample files.

We have tried to convert your PDF to PDF/A-3A format while using Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.3 and were unable to notice any issue. For your kind reference, we have also attached the generated output file.

Output

Would you please try your scenario with latest version of the API and in case you still face any issue, please share error description and complete stack trace along with your environment details (i.e OS Version, Application Type, Target Framework, etc.). We will again test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly.

Hi,

sorry but the problem still persists even with the latest version. It just does not work - fails to convert from PDF to PDF/A-3A - when you check the version in Adobe it tells you that this is a version 1.1 not PDF/A-3A.

Regards, Mike

@mikesoffice

Thanks for writing back.

We have checked the output file in Adobe Reader and noticed that the version of file was 1.4 and it was PDF/A-3a format. Would you please share the Adobe Reader version which you are using at your side along with the screenshot showing the version 1.1 and non-compliance to PDF/A-3a format. We will again check details in our environment and provide you feedback accordingly.

PDFA3A.png (17.7 KB)

Since PDF/A-3 by definition is based on PDF 1.7, I don’t see how it can be 1.4:

Regards Mike

@mikesoffice

Thanks for writing back.

We have logged an investigation ticket as PDFNET-44492 in our issue tracking system for the sake of further investigation regarding this behavior of the API. As soon as we have some investigation results, we will let you know. Please be patient and spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,
Any news yet on this matter as my line manager wants to get the matter resolved and the application ready for deployment to system test, many thanks.
Regards, Mike

@mikesoffice

Thanks for your inquiry.

As we recently have logged this ticket in our issue tracking system, so I am afraid it is pending for review. Moreover, the issues logged under free/normal support model are resolved on first come first serve basis. We will surely let you know when we make some significant progress towards investigation of the logged ticket.

However, in case the issue is blocker and needs to be resolved on priority basis, you may please check paid support model where our customers report the issues, which need to be resolved on urgent basis.

Note that we paid over £30,000 for licences for this software based on the functionality advertised. Paid support was not an option at this time (as far as I know). We should not have to buy additional support in order to get a product which works. We have 3 specific issues which require resolution: it will not convert to PDF/A-3, it will not convert to Strict Open XML for spreadsheets (Excel), it will not convert to Strict Open XML for presentations (PowerPoint). Is there an escalation we can pursue because if this cannot be corrected (if the product cannot be made to work in our use case) then we will have to investigate a refund.

@dan.brill

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

We definitely value your concerns and realize the significance of the issue. Please note that we provide resolution against every issue reported by our customers - however, issues have been resolved on first come first serve basis, which we believe, is the fairest policy. There is large number of pending issues in the queue which were reported prior to your issue and we have been working over resolving those issues as well as introducing new features and improvements in the API.

I am afraid that we are not in position to share any reliable ETA for now, due to other pending issues in the queue. Furthermore, we have recorded your concerns and definitely consider them while investigating the issue. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding resolution of the issue, we will surely inform you within this forum thread. We greatly appreciate your patience and comprehension in this regard. Please spare us little time.

And we do have some time - but please be aware (and I’m not saying that our situation is hugely different from anyone else’s) that we have two major projects, each burning £1000s per day, which need these fixes. We’re not asking for a new feature - we are just asking for the product to do what we expected when we purchased it. There will come a point when we will either have to give up on this functionality working (which will be a significant business impact) or buy a different product.

@dan.brill

We are reviewing the logged issue and let you know as soon as we have some results. Please spare us little time.

Hi,
I know you must be very busy people but is there any chance you could give me some idea of when I can expect to see this issue fixed/resolved?
Many thanks.
Regards, Mike

@mikesoffice

Thanks for contacting support.

We would like to share with you that earlier logged issue i.e PDFNET-44492, has been resolved in upcoming release Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.5. We are in process to publish the release for download and it is expected to be available for use by the end of current week.

Furthermore, after resolving the issue related to wrong version number, we have observed that the output PDF document did not pass the PDF/A-3A compliance test in Adobe Preflight. ComplianceTest_Failed.png (21.8 KB) Therefore, we have created a separate ticket as PDFNET-44577 for this issue. We are investigating this issue as well and as soon as we have some definite updates regarding its rectification, we will let you know. Please spare us little time.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNET-44492) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.5. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool by asad.ali

1 Like

Hi

Been on holiday and was just wondering has there been any progress?

Regards, mike

thanks a lot for that link as i found it useful.
by the way, as mike, i am wondering if there’s been any progress as well! please update

20th of may 2018 they say…