Failure to compile in Mono (dll does not contain valid metadata)

Hello,

I’m trying to compile a simple Aspose.Slides (and Aspose.Pdf) program in Mono on Ubuntu and I am receiving the following error:

mcs Program.cs -r:Aspose.Slides.dll,Aspose.Pdf.dll
error CS0009: Metadata file Aspose.Slides.dll' does not contain valid metadata<br>error CS0009: Metadata file Aspose.Pdf.dll’ does not contain valid metadata
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warnings

This is using the latest DLLs from the Aspose.Total for .NET as of yesterday (the .NET 4.0 framework ones).

There’s a similar thread to this error for Aspose.Cells where the issue was resolved for the latest release, however it seems that this change never made it into the Aspose.Slides nor Aspose.Pdf. The thread is:
Mono compilation problem

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanks.

Hi Bartosz,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the issue shared by you. Can you please share the version of Aspose.Slides that is being used on your end. Please also share the sample mono project with us with which you are able to reproduce the issue. I suggest you to please only include Aspose.Slides assembly in your application by discarding the Aspose.Pdf for a while so that we may focus on issue related to Aspose.Slides and narrow down our approach by removing the odds. Please also share the mono version and Operating system details with us as well.

I suggest you to please try using Aspose.Slides for .NET 8.2.0 on your end in solo mode without using Aspose.Pdf in same project for a while and share your kind feedback for that. Please share the requested information if there is still an issue and we will try our best to help you further.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

As I mentioned in my original post I’m using the latest DLLs from the Aspose.Total for .Net. I don’t think it’s a matter of Aspose.Slides versus Aspose.Pdf. I think both of the DLLs are being built incorrectly and that is why they won’t compile. The other forum thread I referenced regarding Aspose.Cells seems to have found the same issue in Aspose.Cells.

The Ubuntu version is 13.04.

The Mono version is 2.10.8.1.

I originally tested with the .Net 4.0 client profile DLLs. I took the liberty to try every Aspose.Slides.dll in the Aspose.Total package just to see if any of them would work (in standalone, without Pdf, though I’ll need both to work eventually). Anyway, the results are that all of them hit the exact same issue. Here’s the transcript:

$ ls -1 */Aspose.Slides.dll
net2.0/Aspose.Slides.dll
net3.5/Aspose.Slides.dll
net3.5_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
net4.0/Aspose.Slides.dll
net4.0_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
$ mcs Program.cs -r:net2.0/Aspose.Slides.dll
error CS0009: Metadata file net2.0/Aspose.Slides.dll' does not contain valid metadata<br>Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings<br>$ mcs Program.cs -r:net3.5/Aspose.Slides.dll<br>error CS0009: Metadata filenet3.5/Aspose.Slides.dll’ does not contain valid metadata
Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings
mcs Program.cs -r:net3.5_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
error CS0009: Metadata file net3.5_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll' does not contain valid metadata<br>Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings<br>$ mcs Program.cs -r:net4.0/Aspose.Slides.dll<br>error CS0009: Metadata filenet4.0/Aspose.Slides.dll’ does not contain valid metadata
$ mcs Program.cs -r:net4.0_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
error CS0009: Metadata file `net4.0_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll’ does not contain valid metadata
Here are the exact dates for the DLLs that are contained in your zip:
$ ls -n1 */Aspose.Slides.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 14373256 Dec 26 11:20 net2.0/Aspose.Slides.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 14373256 Dec 26 12:42 net3.5/Aspose.Slides.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 14370184 Dec 26 12:45 net3.5_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 14378376 Dec 26 12:49 net4.0/Aspose.Slides.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 1000 1000 14982024 Dec 26 12:52 net4.0_clientprofile/Aspose.Slides.dll
As with the other forum thread, I think the DLLs are being built incorrectly to compile against.

Thanks.

Hi Bartosz,

Thanks for sharing the requested information with us. I have observed the information and have created an issue with ID SLIDESNET-34932 in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,