Finish Date Not Being Recalculated

Hi,

I’m having an issue where the finish date of a task, on a subsequent update, is not being updated based on the regular work value. The regular work hours are being updated correctly. However, the finish date and duration are not reflecting this change. For the task in question the finish date and duration are still based on the regular work value from the initial MS Project file generation.

I’ve attached a sample solution to demonstrate the issue (I’ve included the starting MS Project Template as well “blank.mpp”). Follow the steps below to recreate:

1) Run the application and select the “Initial Create” button.
2) Open the project and view the CHILD 7 task finish date. At this point the finish date/time should be correct (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM).
3) Close the MS Project file.
4) Next, select the “Update CHILD 7” button.
5) Open the project and view the CHILD 7 task finish date/time. At this point the finish date/time has not changed since the initial export (Still showing 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM when it should show 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM). However, the Regular Work (Planned) value is corrected updated.

Any idea as to why the finish date/time is not updating correctly?

I’m using VS2010, MS Project 2010 and Aspose.Tasks 9.6.0.1.

Thanks, Calvin

Hi Calvin,

Thank you for contacting Aspose Support team.

I have analyzed teh code and observed that when we press second button to update child task 7, it raises exception at the following line due to some logical exception.

_levelLinks.Add(activity, iteminternalsequence);

This causes the program to return immediately after this line and process is not completed. You may please correct this error and test the scenario again and share the feedback.

Hi Kashif,

Unfortunately, I do not get the internal exception on the line you indicated. I’ve removed that logic from the program, retested and confirmed that the issue still exists. I’ve attached the updated code for your review. Can you please retest and let me know if you’re now able to recreate?

Thanks, Calvin

Hi Calvin,

Thank you for providing the updated code.

I am afraid that this issue is not reproduced here as after updating the Task CHILD7, it contains proper finish time i.e. 1400 hrs as shown in the attached image. I am attaching the two result file copies, one after the initialization and other after updating. You may please try the scenario again using one step processed file (result - result - After Initialize.mpp) and share the feedback.

P.S. I am using VS 2015 and MSP 2010.

Hi Kashif,

What version of Aspose.Tasks are you testing with?

Thanks

Hi Calvin,

I have tested it with both Aspose.Tasks for .NET 9.6.0.0 and 9.6.0.1. Please feel free to write us back if you have any other query in this regard.

Hi Kashif,

If I run the test website, use the output file that you’ve attached to your post as a starting point “result - After Initialize.mpp”, and select the “Update Child 7” button the finish time is updated correctly. However, if I start from scratch with the attached template as a starting point the finish time is not being calculated correctly after selecting the “Update Child 7” button.

Can you retest again with the attached template as a starting point and follow the steps that I outlined on my initial post? The only other difference is that you’re using VS 2015 rather then VS 2010. Are you able to test using VS 2010?

Thanks, Calvin

Hi Calvin,

Thank you for providing feedback. This issue is re-produced and logged under Id:TASKSNET-1706 for further investigation by the product team. You will be automatically notified once any update is received in this regard.

Hi Kashif,

Can you provide an update on this issue? Will there be a correction? If so can you provide an ETA?

Thanks, Calvin

Hi Calvin,

The issue is under investigation at present, but involves complexity due to which no further information is available about its status. The ETA is set for Mar 2017. We’ll update you here as there is some information about the status of the problem.

Hi Kashif,

Would we possibly get an earlier ETA if we were to move this issue to priority support?

Thanks, Calvin

Hi Calvin,

We’ve requested our Product team to look for any such possibility and will update you here once some feedback is available in this regard. We appreciate your patience until then.

Hi Calvin,

Until this issue is resolved completely, you can explicitly set Tsk.IsManual and Tsk.ManualStart in combination with Tsk.ManualDuraiton to force the MSP to show correct Finish date. You can add following code for modifying CHILD7 task. Please note that our Product team is still working for a complete fix of this issue and we’ll update you here once there is some further update available in this regard.

_myTask.Set(Tsk.IsManual, new NullableBool(true));
_myTask.Set(Tsk.ManualDuration, project.GetDuration(workhrs, TimeUnitType.Hour));
_myTask.Set(Tsk.ManualStart, _myTask.Get(Tsk.Finish));

Hi Kashif,

Can you provide a new ETA on this issue? Any benefit in pushing this to priority support?

Thanks, Calvin

@calvin.howell,

We have requested ETA from our Product team about this issue and will update you here as soon as some information is available in this regard.

Hi Kashif,

Just reviewing he available Aspose.Tasks downloads and noticed that the TASKSNET - 1706 seems to have been addressed with the 17.7 release. This release was made available on July 31st. Just wanted to make you aware that I didn’t receive a notification indicating so, as I have in the past with other corrections.

Calvin

@calvin.howell,

We are extremely sorry for this inconvenience. As we have moved to these new forums, we faced some issues with automatic notifications of new releases to customers. Our respective team is working to fix these and will be able to fix those soon. We assure you that you won’t face any such problem in future and appreciate your cooperation in this regard.