Footnotes

I have been challenged to enable collection of footnotes and retain enough that I can later rebuild a docx with the original footnotes retained.
So Word Doc to xml then xml to Word Doc.

Everything is good other than I cannot find a way to collect the following: -
  1. In the text the footnote number is highlighted but I can see a way to get this as getReferenceMark() returns the string?
  2. The user can edit the footnote placed at page bottom add brackets [i] but I cannot find a way to find that this has happened?
  3. If the layout in word is set to multi columns I cant find this choice so I can reply it when I create a Word Doc.
I am using Aspose.Words.jdk16.jar dated 21/11/2016

Is this possible ?

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please share complete detail of your use case along with following detail? We will then provide you more information about your query along with code. Thanks for your cooperation.

• Your input Word document.
  • Your output Xml document.
  • Please create a simple Java application (source code without compilation errors) that you are using to work with footnotes.
  • Please share your expected output Word document.

PS: To attach these resources, please zip them and Click 'Reply' button that will bring you to the 'reply page' and there at the bottom you can include any attachments with that post by clicking the 'Add/Update' button.

Hi,

I set out to create a code sample but quickly found that its massive as it has to process many different node types to get to the point.
In doing so I found that a Control code 0x2 is presented at the point in the footnote that an auto item should appear which is marvelous and resolves one issue.

The attached Word file shows two footnotes “A1” and “A” both are custom text and highlighted.

The property getReferenceMark() returns a string for a Non-Auto footnote however it only returns the first character (‘A’)- Why is this?
I don’t see a Run Node that gives me the highlight that is associated with the getReferenceMark() - Is this possible?

Hopefully this makes the questions more understandable.

Thanks

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for sharing the detail
JanUrbanski:
The property getReferenceMark() returns a string for a Non-Auto footnote however it only returns the first character ('A')
We have tested the scenario and have noticed that Footnote.ReferenceMark returns incorrect value for custom reference mark. For the sake of correction, we have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-14953. You will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.
JanUrbanski:
I don't see a Run Node that gives me the highlight that is associated with the getReferenceMark() - Is this possible?
Unfortunately, Aspose.Words does not support the requested feature at the moment. However, we have logged this feature request as WORDSNET-14954 in our issue tracking system. You will be notified via this forum thread once this feature is available.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thanks for investigating this.

I am sorry I missed one question in my excitement.

The footnotes in may sample are set as 3 columns at page bottom but I cannot find this information from Aspose Words.
I note the docx file has: -
<w15:footnoteColumns w:val=“3”/>

Is there a way to acess this information?

Thanks

Jan Urbanski
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, Aspose.Words does not support the requested feature at the moment. However, we have logged this feature request as WORDSNET-14958 in our issue tracking system. You will be notified via this forum thread once this feature is available.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

@JanUrbanski,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-14958) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 17.10 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 17.10 update.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-14953) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 19.3 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 19.3 update.