FTP Client Exception - Invalid format of list item

I am using the FTP Client component to a VAX VMS server and I am getting an exception when I try to use the ListDirectoryDetails function.

I get the exception message:

Invalid format of list item:CNXRMS.LOG;70 3 5-OCT-2007 13:29 [NCA,DPMJM] (RWED,RWED,RE,)

I am able to connect to the server and change to the initial directory with no problems. I am guessing that the issue is that when the ListDirectoryDetails function is called it is apparently expecting the results in a specific format and it is not written to handle the results from such an old system - VAX VMS server.

Can someone please assist - this problem has my project on hold...

There are other components out there that do work with VAX/VMS ftp such as:

http://www.chilkatsoft.com/ftp-2-dotnet.asp

I prefer to use Aspose component because I already have a subscription but if I have to purchase the above component to get the functionality I need then I will - too bad this feature does not appear to be supported by Aspose.

Also since you will probably ask me for source code - I am using the sample that comes when you install Aspose.... here is YOUR sample source code that does not work properly...

private string DemoFtpGetCurrentDirectory() {

if (DemoFtpConnected())

{

try

{

richTextBox1.AppendText("\nTrying to get server working directory...");

string returnDirectory = ftpClient.GetCurrentDirectory();

richTextBox1.AppendText("\nseccessfully got server working directory");

richTextBox1.Focus();

return returnDirectory;

}

catch (FtpException fe)

{

richTextBox1.AppendText("\nFailed to get server working directory");

richTextBox1.AppendText("\n" + fe);

richTextBox1.Focus();

}

}

return null;

}

The exception is thrown when you hit the following line of code:

string returnDirectory = ftpClient.GetCurrentDirectory();

Hello,

Could I have the accessing permission on your ftp server? We will try to fix it.

Thanks

Unfortunately no the FTP server is internal and protected via firewall. There is no way we could get it opened up.

I will try to find a public FTP server of this type you can test against.

I dont see any publicly accessible VAX/VMS ftp servers.

Too bad your development environment does not provide this

Thanks for your reply.

We are doing something to fix it.

Any word on this fix? My project is way late because of this problem. I must go elsewhere if no resolution next week.

Hello,

We are still working to fix it. I will give you a beta next Monday.

Thanks for your patience.

Hello,

I have got a VAX VMS server for the debugging and implementation of the FTP now. But I need a few more time to fix it. How many days could I have according to your timeline? We will try the best to hit it.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Hello,

We have fixed this bug and provide supporting for VAX/VMS system. Please try this beta dll,

http://www.aspose.com/products/aspose.network/releases/3.6.0/aspose.networkv3.6.3.2.12.zip

Let me know if it works.

Thanks

I use the windows FTP demo and replaced the old Aspose.Network.dll with the new version from your post and I get the following exception:

"Failed to get file size :500 I never heard of the SIZE command. Try HELP."

Here is the trace information:

Trying to get server working directory...

Failed to get server working directory

Aspose.Network.Ftp.FtpException: Failed to get file size :500 I never heard of the SIZE command. Try HELP.

at Aspose.Network.Ftp.FtpClient.GetFileSize(String remoteFilePath)

at Aspose.Network.Ftp.Demo.Form1.DemoFtpGetCurrentDirectory() in C:\Program Files\Aspose\Aspose.Network\Samples\Ftp\FtpWindowsFormDemo\C#\Form1.cs:line 643

Hello,

I think we need more time to fix it. Your ftp server cannot handle the common ftp commands. Do you have any idea to map the ftp command of the ftp server to the common ones?

I have added the list responses parser already. It works ok with the ftp ftp.process.com. But I cannot reproduce your problem on that ftp server. It looks they support the command ftp commands.

Could you give me pemission to your ftp server? Therefore, we can try to investigation and fast our development.

Thanks,

Hello,

I think we need more time to fix it. Your ftp server cannot handle the common ftp commands. Do you have any idea to map the ftp command of the ftp server to the common ones?

What is mapping FTP commands to the common ones?

I want to test some components against my FTP server on my [REBex.it](http://www.rebex.it/) server.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for inquiry.

Could you please try the evaluation version of [Aspose.Network for .NET ](http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.network-for-.net/default.aspx) on your FTP server? It should be able to connect and do all the functions, if the server supports the FTP protocol.