Generated PPT/PPTX crashes when opened in different PowerPoint (Java)

Using Slides version 19.5 in Java16.

We have a sample PPT called crash.ppt. This opens in PowerPoint as follows:

Office 365 PowerPoint MSO 64 bit on PC - crashes out on open
Office 2019 MSO 32 bit on PC - opens but the slide sorter isn’t displayed properly
Office 2019 MSO 64 bit on PC - opens ok
PowerPoint for Mac 16.31 - crashes PowerPoint

We translate this into crash.pptx using the following code sample:

com.aspose.slides.Presentation presentation = new com.aspose.slides.Presentation(inputPath);
presentation.save(outputPath, com.aspose.slides.SaveFormat. Pptx );

When the new PPTX is opened with PowerPoint:

Office 365 PowerPoint MSO 64 bit on PC - needs repair - gets repaired
Office 2019 MSO 32 bit on PC - needs repair - gets repaired
Office 2019 MSO 64 bit on PC - needs repair - gets repaired
PowerPoint for Mac 16.31 - needs repair - gets repaired

We then translate crash.pptx into crash-new.ppt, using the following code sample:

com.aspose.slides.Presentation presentation = new com.aspose.slides.Presentation(inputPath);
presentation.save(outputPath, com.aspose.slides.SaveFormat. Ppt );

The new PPT file opens as follows:

Office 365 PowerPoint MSO 64 bit on PC - crashes out on open
Office 2019 MSO 32 bit on PC - opens but the slide sorter isn’t displayed properly
Office 2019 MSO 64 bit on PC - opens but the slide sorter isn’t displayed properly
PowerPoint for Mac 16.31 - crashes out on open

Original PPT, generated PPTX and re-generated PPT attached.
crash.zip (187.3 KB)

@simon.wiseman,

I have observed the issue shared by you. I have observed that you are using Aspose.Slides for Java 9.5 on your end. Can you please try using latest Aspose.Slides for Java 19.10 on your end and share the feedback with us if the issue is still incurring.

Will do. Updated our test rig after running that test - doh! Will report back.

@simon.wiseman,

Thank you. We will await your feedback.

The “crash.ppt” attached to the first comment still crashes when it is converted to a PPTX. I then converted it back to PPT and the file opens fine in PowerPoint 2019.
Using “aspose-slides-20.3-jdk16.jar”.

@simon.wiseman,

I have observed your latest as well as older comments in your very first post An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-38101 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be fixed.

@simon.wiseman,

We have investigated the following behavior shared by you.

Based on this, it is inferred that the problem occurs it self in source PPT shared by you as its behavior is different across different PowerPoint versions. Aspose.Slides treats the presentation the same way as it is treated by PowerPoint. Therefore, we request you to please provide a source presentation that it self has got no issues when opening in any PowerPoint version. We will test that on our end and even after that presentation there are issues in generated PPTX or PPT, we are willing to investigate that behavior further on our end

That’s fine no problem, I just wanted to let you know that the PPT crashes in different versions of PowerPoint.

@simon.wiseman,

Thank you for your feedback. So, we may close the ticket on our end?

Yeah thats fine, thank you.

@simon.wiseman,

Thank you for the feedback.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-38101) have been fixed in this update.