Getting evalutaion watermark on Fedora 26, but not on Fedora 24

We have a server that converts documents to PDF. We are adding OneNote documents, and licensed Aspose.Note for Java. We don’t distribute anything, so I just Base64.encode the license file and embedded that directly in our PDF conversion library, then in a static block I Base64.decode it and pass it as a stream to a License instance.

This works on my dev Windows box, but doesn’t work on our server, which runs Fedora 26. We don’t get an exception, but we are getting the evaluation watermark on all the generated PDFs.

I wanted to log whether the License was properly installed, but the method mentioned in the documentation (Licensing) doesn’t exist. There is no static License.isLicensed(). There is one for instances, but it is protected and cannot be called.

static {
	License l = new License();
	try (ByteArrayInputStream baos = new ByteArrayInputStream(Base64.decodeBase64(LICENSE))) {
		l.setLicense(baos);
	} catch (Throwable t) {
		t.printStackTrace();
	}
}

The documentation says that setLicense() only needs to be called once. Would it be bad to call it every time? Since I can’t really see if the license is loaded like the documentation says I can, I would have to do it every time.

Are there any known issues with Fedora 26?

@JCORMIER_SCI,

Thank you for posting your inquiry.

The documentation section about validating license is outdated and there is no information available about validating the license at present. We have updated respective article now.

There hasn’t been any such issue reported in past with Fedora 26 and, hence, no such information is available at our end. For double check, could you please place the license physically on the said server and access it via stream/file path on the server to see if it works? Also, if you are using any other API in addition to Aspose.Note, you will have to initialize the license for each API. There is no harm in setting license multiple times, though the first call should work anyways.

I’ll try that, but I don’t see how it can make a difference. Data should be data. As I said, it works on multiple other platforms. Also, it would be nice if the isLicensed() method were re-introduced. I would much rather not produce a document than produce one that made it look like we were using software without a license.

@JCORMIER_SCI,

We are looking for possible implementation of isLicensed() method and have forwarded your request for further consideration to our Product team. For further investigation into this issue, we need to setup Fedora 26 environment at our end that may take a little time. If you have ready environment in the form of VM, you can upload it to some 3rd party storage and share the link with us. This will help us download and test the issue at our end. Meanwhile, we are establishing test environment at our end and will update you here with our findings soon.

Thanks,
Kashif

@JCORMIER_SCI,

Could you please point us to the right version of Fedora 26 to download from the downloads section (workstation, server, Atomic, etc)? This will help us test the issue with the right version you are using at your end and assist you accordingly.

Thanks,
Kashif

I think there must be something strange going on in my code. I wrote a stand-alone test class, and it works fine on the suspect VM, so the issue must be in my license initialization code somehow. Please close this, and if I can’t fix it, I’ll post again on a new thread.

@JCORMIER_SCI,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We were able to setup the environment and were not able to replicate the same at our end. Please feel free to write to us if you have any further query related to the API.