Getting started with Ruby on Rails

I’ve just signed up for a development license. I’ve downloaded and installed the saasposesdk gem. (I wasn’t sure if I should install this gem or the saaspose gem). I’m trying to write some Ruby on Rails code that will upload a Word document a user chooses off of their computer, convert that Word document to a PDF file and then save the PDF file in our S3 bucket.

Do you have same Ruby on Rails code sample that can help me? What I have found so far is very limiting and does not cover my use case.

Thanks,

Ehud.

Ehud Israel

Async Interview

Philadelphia, PA

Submitted from: http://saaspose.com/

Hi Ehud,

At the moment, we have less examples for RUBY as compared to other languages but we are working on these examples and in near future, you will be able to find all the examples for RUBY as well.

I have added a RUBY example for your reference at GitHub - aspose-words-cloud/aspose-words-cloud-ruby: Ruby library for communicating with the Aspose.Words Cloud API. This example demonstrates how you can upload documents at Amazon S3 and then convert to other formats including PDF.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have further comments or questions.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz
Support Developer, Saaspose Sialkot Team
http://www.saaspose.com

I'm using Ruby on Rails 2.3.8 and Ruby 1.8.7.

When I installed the saasposesdk gem, it complained about the "require_relative" command. I researched it and "require_relative" was introduced in Ruby 1.9. I've temporarily changed them to "require"; however, this is not a permanent solution as the changes will get eliminated if I upgrade the gem. Can you fix this issue on your end?

Then I'm getting a conflict with your Storage::Folder module/class and and the same module/class found in another gem, Paperclip. I'm trying to sort this out but it is a little beyond my understanding. I'm using about 40 different gems and this issue has never come up.

I am very interested in seeing if your service will solve a very important problem for our web-site so that I may become a paying customer. However, I'm going to need more support that simply sending a link. How do we proceed?

Ehud

Hi Ehud,

Thanks for your feedback.

We have changed the structure of our RUBY SDK and also added more features to it but these changes are not publically available yet. We will push these changes to live SDK after completing our tests and let you know once it is done. Hopefully, module/class conflict issue will be resolved after upgrading to latest one. We will also try to resolve the backward compatibility issue the earliest possible.

At the moment, our Storage::Folder SDK class does not provide the ability to upload the files to Amazon S3 and because of that, I have used REST API to upload file to Amazon S3 storage in my example (shared in my previous post). You can avoid our Storage module for now to avoid conflicts with other gem and use the upload code from my example.

You can also contact me at Saaspose live support if you want to discuss more issues in detail and want those issues to be resolved quickly. Please share your timings and I will make sure I am available at live support during those hours.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Muhammad,

Let me know when you release the new version of the SDK. I think it is better for me to wait for the new gem.

Thanks,

Ehud

Hi Ehud,

Please download the latest SDK from GitHub - aspose-words-cloud/aspose-words-cloud-ruby: Ruby library for communicating with the Aspose.Words Cloud API. This SDK includes the following changes:

1. Tested with RUBY 1.8.7
  2. Module names have been updated to avoid naming conflicts with other Gems
  3. Upload files to Amazon S3 Storage
  4. Some new methods have been added

You need to configure Amazon S3 Storage (Configure Amazon S3 Storage|Documentation) to work with Amazon S3. Please use this updated SDK and let us know if you have any concerns.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Hi Ehud,

Just wanted to check with you, whether you were able to download the latest SDK and try it at your end. Did it work for you? Please give it a try and if you find any further questions or need assistance, please do let us know. We'll be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards
Shahzad Latif
Saaspose Support Team.