GridWeb in .Net

I am currently evaluating the GridWeb control for .Net to determine if it can meet our requirements for an ASP.Net-based product. It seems very powerful, but I have run into a problem that may prevent us from using it: I don’t seem to be able to perform only a partial update to just the GridWeb control without forcing a full page refresh.

I have a User Control in a Web Form. The User Control contains an update panel that contains the GridWeb control. A system requirement is that we can’t do full page refreshes on events, but only specific control updates as needed. When attempting a partial page update from any action (custom button click to save cell data, for example), the GridWeb becomes “locked” after the update (fields are no longer editable, and subsequent actions on it don’t work). There are no errors displayed in browser/client or server.

I am not sure if we are trying to use the GridWeb in a way that it was not intended to be used. I can provide code sample if needed, but the basic problem I’m having is that it doesn’t seem to like only partial updates, and we can’t use it if it requires a full page refresh to function. Is there a work-around for this issue?

Thank you for your attention.

Hi,

Thanks for providing us some details.

We appreciate if you could provide us simple sample project (runnable) to reproduce the issue on our end, you may zip the project before attaching it here. Also, attach template file(s) if you have any, we will check it soon.

By the way, could you move the GridWeb control out of UpdatePanel if it works fine or not.

Thank you.

I have attached a sample project that demonstrates the problem. I grabbed the GridWeb DLL here and included it as a reference in the project. I am using Visual Studio Pro 2015. I believe I have included all the necessary configuration to use the GridWeb (such as including the acw_client files and referencing them as app-settings in Web.config file).

If you can run the project, it should display the Web Form I’m using which contains the User Control, which in turn contains an update panel containing the GridWeb. I also have a Button below the GridWeb labeled “Save”. Prior to clicking the “Save” button, you should observe that the GridWeb cells are editable and can be selected, and the footer controls appear to work (such as switching between the sheets). Things seem fine. But, once you click the “Save” button, after the postback, the GridWeb appears to stop responding to client input (“locks up”). It stays this way until full page refresh is performed.

Our requirement is such that we can’t allow a full page refresh for any single user control since we will have other user controls active on the same page and they must maintain their state independent of the other controls. For this reason I believe we have to keep controls within an update panel. I did try it without the update panel, and it works, but it does a full page refresh, which will be a problem for us.

Thank you for your attention.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the sample project.

We have evaluated the presented scenario while using the latest version of Aspose.Cells.GridWeb for .NET 16.11.6, and we are able to notice the said issue on our side. In order to further investigate the matter, we have logged this incident as CELLSNET-44952 in our bug tracking system. Please spare us little time to properly analyze the case and revert back with updates in this regard.

Hi again,

We have investigated the said matter, and we suggest you to use the Custom Command Buttons in order to deal with server-side logic. Moreover, set the EnableAJAX as “true” allowing the GridWeb to update the view itself as you can not update it’s view through Update Panel. I have attached the updated sample project (in an archive) to this post. The archive also contains the latest revision of Aspose.Cells.GridWeb 16.11.7 as well as its corresponding JavaScript file.