GroupShape.getName is not returning the name?

I have begun working on a project to migrate from an old PPT library we’ve been using to the Aspose.slides library and I am experimenting to make sure that your library will support the functionality we need before purchasing a license. One problem I’ve hit is that it doesn’t appear that GroupShape.getName works properly.

We have a PPT template file that includes in it some groups that have names assigned to them using a Visual Basic plugin. Names assigned to individual shapes appear to work, but the names on groups do not.

I am attaching a simple example file that has a group that has several shapes in the. The group as well as two of the shapes inside the group have name (I can see that with my plugin but I’m not sure how you can). I can get the name of the two shapes, but not the group.

I would appreciate any advice you may have.

import com.aspose.slides.GroupShape;
import com.aspose.slides.Presentation;
import com.aspose.slides.Shape;
import com.aspose.slides.Slide;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileInputStream;

public class BlueprintPPT {
public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
Presentation presentation = new Presentation(new FileInputStream(new File(“Groups.ppt”)));
Slide slide = presentation.getSlides().get(0);

GroupShape groupShape = (GroupShape)slide.getShapes().get(0);
System.out.println(“GroupShape.getName=” + groupShape.getName());

Shape shape1 = groupShape.getShapes().get(0);
System.out.println(“Shape.getName=” + shape1.getName());
}
}

I forgot to add that this is the output I get from running that bit of code:

GroupShape.getName=
Shape.getName=name

I should see “processes-created” as the name of the group.

I’ve also written code to output the entire shape and recursively all shapes inside it and no shape has the name I’m looking for.

Hi Damon,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

Actually, group shape in PowerPoint presentations can’t have associated names with it because GroupShape is not a real shape. That is just collection which includes other grouped shapes. That is why you are unable to access the name of the GroupShape.

Thanks and Regards,

I’m afraid that’s just not the case. The PPT I attached has a name assigned to the group and that name is accessible in the Java PPT library we are currently using, and as a Group object they have in their library.

Hello Damon,

I have discussed the matter with our Aspose.Slides development team. We consider your feedback very beneficial for our product and always welcome such feature requests. Two issues with ID’s 14721 and 14722 have been created on our Issue Tracking System to investigate the possibility of addition of accessing group shape name. This thread has been associated with the above mentioned Issue ID’s, so that you can be automatically notified as soon as feature is available online.

Thanks and Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 14721) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 14722) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.