Handle Footnote Continuation Notice & Separator Height during Converting DOCX Word to PDF using C# .NET API

We are using Aspose 19.6 for .NET (with license) and in some cases the .pdf output contains an extra page due to some formatting in the original .docx file (see image). I wonder how to workaround this issue. Please note that removing the page doesn’t work since the extra page contains a header.

Capture.PNG (16.3 KB)
Capture2.PNG (3.3 KB)

Thanks!

@mgentile,

Thanks for your inquiry. Have you also tried the latest version of Aspose.Words for .NET i.e. 19.11 on your end? In case the problem still remains, please ZIP and upload your input Word document and Aspose.Words 19.11 generated PDF file showing the undesired behavior here for testing. We will then investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Same result with version 19.11
test.zip (83.7 KB)
Thanks

@mgentile,

We tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same problem on our end. For the sake of correction, we have logged this problem in our issue tracking system. The ID of this issue is WORDSNET-19553. We will further look into the details of this problem and will keep you updated on the status of correction. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thanks for your response. I was just wondering if there has been any progress on the resolution of this issue. Thanks again.

@mgentile,

Regarding WORDSNET-19553, it is to update you that we have completed the analysis of this issue but I am afraid, because of complexity, the implementation of this issue has been postponed till a later date. There are no estimates available at the moment. The analysis details are as follows:

The problem occurs because the document contains a Continuation notice.
In this case, MS Word calculates the footnote height as:
Separator height + Footnote content height + Continuation notice height

It happens even when footnotes do not split between pages.
This behavior was true for compatibility mode and for MsWord2013, MsWord 2016. Aspose.Words currently works like these versions of MS Word.

Moreover, in MS Word 2013 and later, footnote continuation separator and continuation notice were ignored. One could set the footnote continuation separator and continuation notice in UI, but nothing happened. But starting from some time, Microsoft brought back the footnote continuation separator and continuation notice with an update for MS Word 2016.
Also, the logic of it’s applying has been changed. It seems that MS Word includes the notice height in the footnote height only if the footnote continues on the next column or page.

We will inform you via this thread as soon as this issue will be resolved in future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-19553) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 20.6 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 20.6 update.