How to Detect and Extract Text Boxes When Converting Word to Markdown Using Aspose Python API

I am currently working on a project that involves converting Word documents (doc/docx) to Markdown using the Aspose Python API. One of the challenges I am facing is detecting whether a page in the Word document contains a text box and, if so, extracting the content of that text box.

By default, when converting a doc/docx document to Markdown, text boxes are often treated as images. However, I need to extract the actual text content from these text boxes and include it in the Markdown output.

Here are my specific questions:

1. Detection of Text Boxes: How can I determine if a page in the Word document contains a text box using the Aspose Python API?
  2. Extraction of Text Box Content: Once a text box is detected, how can I extract its content and include it in the Markdown output instead of treating it as an image?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or code examples on how to achieve this. Thanks in advance for your help!

@kyrieqi

To detect and extract text boxes when converting Word documents to Markdown using the Aspose Python API, you can follow these steps:

1. Detection of Text Boxes

To determine if a page in the Word document contains a text box, you can iterate through the document’s shapes. Text boxes in Aspose.Words are represented as Shape objects. You can check the Shape.Type property to identify text boxes. Here’s a code snippet to help you with this:

import aspose.words as aw

# Load the Word document
doc = aw.Document("your_document.docx")

# Iterate through all shapes in the document
for shape in doc.get_child_nodes(aw.NodeType.SHAPE, True):
    if shape.shape_type == aw.drawing.ShapeType.TEXT_BOX:
        print("Text box found!")

2. Extraction of Text Box Content

Once you have detected a text box, you can extract its content using the Text property of the Shape object. Here’s how you can do that:

# Extract content from text boxes
text_box_contents = []
for shape in doc.get_child_nodes(aw.NodeType.SHAPE, True):
    if shape.shape_type == aw.drawing.ShapeType.TEXT_BOX:
        text_box_contents.append(shape.get_text())

# Now you can include this content in your Markdown output
for content in text_box_contents:
    print(content)  # or format it as needed for Markdown

Conclusion

By using the above methods, you can effectively detect and extract the content of text boxes in your Word documents when converting them to Markdown. This allows you to include the actual text content instead of treating text boxes as images.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance!

Sources:
[1]: Enhancing Visual Content with Textboxes in Word Documents