How to get rid of evaluation mode exception - At most 4 elements

Hi Support,

Hard exception received: At most 4 elements (for any collection) can be viewed in evaluation mode

Here are the details of some of the aspose products that we are using.

Aspose Pdf: 10.2.0.0
Aspose words: 14.5.0.0
Aspose cells: 7.7.2.1
License: Aspose.Total.lic ( Paid version - not a trail)
Subscription Expiry date: 2016-06-19
LicenseVersion: 3.0
Platform: .NET

We are using Aspose to do mail merge related tasks but intermittently receiving “At most 4 elements (for any collection) can be viewed in evaluation mode exception” error in production. I confirm that we are not using the free trail version but using a Full paid version and also the aspose dll’s that we are using has release date < subscription expiry date.

Also, we currently set the license from the disk

Dim license As Aspose.Cells.License = New Aspose.Cells.License()
license.SetLicense(“Aspose.Cells.lic”)
I understand that when a trial version products are used there are two limitations to it…
#1. Watermark
#2. At most 4 elements can be viewed in evaluation mode.

Currently, in our code the license is not set in Application_Start () but it is set in DoMailMerge() function. I read on few aspose threads that there is no harm in setting the aspose license more than once in code if you are just referring the license file from disk.

in order to cross off the possibility of license not being set properly, in our test environment, I deliberately commented out setting the license code forcing my paid aspose license version to be treated as ‘Trail’ version. Now when i run the mailmerge() I get the Evaluation water mark on the generated mail merge pdf. That is expected because i did not set the license in my test scenario.

Now i tried to do mail merge (also did pdf to word, word to pdf conversion) of files that has more than 4 pages. In this test scenario i expect the following hard exception “At most 4 elements (for any collection) can be viewed in evaluation mode” but was not able to reproduce the exception. I was only able to see the watermark in all these scenarios.

My question is:
#1. Why on production, there was an exception and not a watermark (if at all the license is detected to be trail version)
#2. why in our test scenarios on test environment there is only watermark all the time and no exception? Should i try anything different to get the exception and not just the mailmerge pdf with watermark?

Hi Kanakesh,

Thank you for contacting support. Your license may not valid for some quite old Aspose APIs like Aspose.Words for .NET 14.5.0.0 (released in the mid of 2014) and Aspose.Cells for .NET 7.7.2.1 (released at the start of 2014). Both these releases don't come under the validity period of your license. Each Aspose license has an expiry date and remains valid for the specific time period. In general perspective, your Aspose license should work with old version of Aspose APIs. However, we don't guarantee that it will work with all of your old Aspose APIs.

We would suggest you please download and use the latest Aspose APIs with the release date less than your license expiry date. This may help you in the recent scenario. Please also make sure that you are applying license for each Aspose library separately by adding the couple of code lines. You need to set a license once per application or process for each Aspose API.
kkurra:
#1. Why on production, there was an exception and not a watermark (if at all the license is detected to be trail version)
#2. why in our test scenarios on test environment there is only watermark all the time and no exception? Should i try anything different to get the exception and not just the mailmerge pdf with watermark?
We need to further investigate that in which use case it throws an error. However, either these indications recognize the problem of not applying the license or license is not valid.

imran.rafique:
We need to further investigate that in which use case it throws an error. However, either these indications recognize the problem of not applying the license or license is not valid.

I'm sure the license file is valid. But just in case I have sent our license file to you. For the above mentioned dll's can you tell if the license is valid.

imran.rafique:
You need to set a license once per application or process for each Aspose API.
How important is it to set license only once? May i know the disadvantages if we set license file more than once per application ( setting license from file path)? I came across few aspose staff responses where they mentioned that there is no harm in setting license more than once. Is it not true.

Hi Kanakesh,

Thank you for the inquiry.
kkurra:
But just in case I have sent our license file to you. For the above mentioned dll’s can you tell if the license is valid.
Sure, you can send license and old Aspose libraries too. We’ll check and share our findings with you. We don’t offer download of the Aspose APIs older than a year, so please also send old Aspose libraries. Please also refer to this help topic: Send Confidential Files/License to an Aspose Staff Member
kkurra:
May i know the disadvantages if we set license file more than once per application ( setting license from file path)?
Yes, there is no harm in setting the license more than once.

imran.rafique:
Hi Kanakesh,

Sure, you can send license and old Aspose libraries too. We'll check and share our findings with you. We don't offer download of the Aspose APIs older than a year, so please also send old Aspose libraries. Please also refer to this help topic: Send Confidential Files/License to an Aspose Staff Member

Sent Licensefile, aspose words, cells, pdf dll files. can you please verify you've received tehm

Hi Kanakesh,

Thank you for sending files. We have not received your Aspose.Pdf library. We suspect that its size will be more than 10MB. You can upload it to some free file sharer server and then send its URL via an email. We’ll investigate and reply you appropriately.

In reference to other two Aspose libraries, the license file perfectly works at our end. Neither it injects an evaluation watermark in the Word and Excel files and nor throws an error. You may further investigate the cause of error in your application projects. We have attached samples of the created Word and Excel files.

Hello sir i am using Aspose.pdf to split pages in a pdf file to multiple pdf’s
Al the work is done but while traversing through the pages more than 4 it shows error at most 4 elements can be viewed on evaluation

How to solve this error?

@sidd0903

Would you kindly make sure that you are using a valid or 30-days free temporary license? The exception you are facing is due to using the API in trial mode. In order to use the API without any restrictions, you need to get a valid license and set it in the code. Please let us know if you have any issues after applying a license file.

I don’t hvae any license file where can i get

@sidd0903

You can please get a license file by visiting the Purchase portal of our website. In case you face any issue, please feel free to create a post in our Purchase forum where you will be assisted accordingly.

Hello sir,
Actually i didn’t found any licence file not even temporary license file while applying for temporary license it was showing me error that you don’t have company registered email address while i am using personal id

Can you please share me the licence file and even for purchase it is to costly for me as a student its 2999$

I am doing project wory for my college final year project of MSC I.T

I hope will get reply soon

@sidd0903

We request you create an inquiry in our purchase forum with your similar concerns. You will be assisted there accordingly.