HUGE memory consumption converting pptx to pdf when new version is used

Hello Aspose Team,

Today I just upgraded my Aspose Slides for Java version from 7.7.0 to 16.9.0.

My application converts PPTX to PDF using the following code:

PresentationEx presEx = new PresentationEx(originalFilePath);
presEx.save(pdfFilePath, SaveFormat.Pdf);

But I needed to change to “Presentation” because PresentationEx does not exist anymore.

Ok, after that was done I begin to experience a severe memory leak problem trying to convert a sample file from the internet (it is attached to this post). This problem crashed my application that ran out of memory.

The problematic class is the following:
49 instances of “com.aspose.slides.ms.core.System.Drawing.imagecodecs.jpeg.pa2137a2a.a”, loaded by “org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader @ 0x784975fe8” occupy 531.758.704 (58,60%) bytes.

How can more than 500MB be occupied from a 2.8MB pptx file? In fact it uses even more than that, because my environment that is configured to use up to 2GB of ram crashed when I uploaded just 2/3 files of those.

I need some help, we just upgraded our Aspose Total! :frowning: That crashing didn’t happen in the old version…

Hi Mario,

I have observed your comments. A ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-35703 has been added in our issue tracking system to resolve the issue. This thread has been associated with the ticket so that we share notification with you once issue will be fixed.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hello Adnan, thanks for the answer.

Isn’t there anything I can do to improve the situation? With custom options in the conversion, for example.

The reason we convert to PDF is only to exhibit in our viewer, there is no need in manipulation whatsoever.
I’m very worried about how a 2.8 MB file could use this much memory. In my tests I verified that the heap space increases up to 1GB just because of this file.

Is there any technical explation about it? Is there a chance that this will improve soon?

Hi Mario,

I have observed your comments. I request you to please be patience, Our product team is investigating issue in details. We will share feedback with you soon.

Best Regards,

Hello,

Any news about this topic?

[]'s

Hi Mario,

I have observed your comments. I like inform that the issue is going to be resolved tentatively in Aspose.Slides for JAVA 16.11.0. This version of Aspose.Slides will be available by the end of December. I request for your patience.

Best Regards,

Hi Mario,

I like to inform that our product team is investigating issue in details. Product team didn’t find a large differences in memory consumption of 7.7.0 and 16.9.0/16.11.0 (~600Mb with peak ~900Mb in 7.7.0 and ~590Mb with peak ~800Mb in 16.9.0/16.11.0).When presentation loaded and saved a few times, but all works fine on Tomcat 7 with -Xmx2048M. Can you please create sample project on which you are facing issue and share environment details with us so that we can continue our investigation to help you out.

Best Regards,

Hello Muhammad,

In my original post I talked about this huge consumption of memory (more than 100x times the size of the file).

Is that normal?

[]'s

Hi Mario,

Can you please share complete sample project so that we can investigate issue in details.

Best Regards,

Hello,

The “project” is simulated in a simple main class with the code:

PresentationEx presEx = new PresentationEx(originalFilePath);
presEx.save(pdfFilePath, SaveFormat.Pdf);

I use jdk1.6.0_38.

But I understood that you already simulated the problem (in bold below). Keep in mind that the file has less than 3MB.

“I like to inform that our product team is investigating issue in details. Product team didn’t find a large differences in memory consumption of 7.7.0 and 16.9.0/16.11.0 (~600Mb with peak ~900Mb in 7.7.0 and ~590Mb with peak ~800Mb in 16.9.0/16.11.0).When presentation loaded and saved a few times, but all works fine on Tomcat 7 with -Xmx2048M. Can you please create sample project on which you are facing issue and share environment details with us so that we can continue our investigation to help you out.”

Hi Mario,

Can you please share following information with us:

OS
JDK arguments (all!)
ALL presentations for this "crash"
All additional environment(like tomcat and etc. for reproducing issue).

Best Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-35703) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.