I4i Patent Violation

Hi team,

Using this library, my application converts HTML into a Word Docx file. My question is if the outputted document is in violation of the i4i patent.

Below is a link regarding the i4i patent to which I am referring:

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-the-i4i-microsoft-patent-case-means-for-software-users/

My understanding is that the SaveFormat.Docx output is a Word 2003 file format. My understanding is that this format is the version which was in violation of i4i’s patent #5,787,449

Can you confirm for me whether or not this format is in violation of this patent? If it is, do you have a suggestion of how to generate a Docx file that is not in violation?

Thank you,

-Arizona

This message was posted using Email2Forum by Babar Raza.

Hi Arizona,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that Aspose.Words mimics the same behavior as MS Word does. I suggest you please use CompatibilityOptions.OptimizeFor method. This method allows to optimize the document contents as well as default Aspose.Words behavior to a particular versions of MS Word.

MsWordVersion Enumeration allows Aspose.Wods to mimic MS Word version-specific application behavior.

Document doc = new Document(MyDir + "in.docx");
//Optimize Aspose.Words behavior to match MS Word 2010 version. 
doc.CompatibilityOptions.OptimizeFor(MsWordVersion.Word2010);
doc.Save(MyDir + "Out.docx");

Aspose.Words supports
all major OOXML versions for example OOXML ECMA-376 and OOXML ISO/IEC
DIS 29500. OOXML WordprocessingML documents most often come as DOCX
files, which are ZIP packages and Aspose.Words does support DOCX format.

Regarding the violation of i4i’s patent #5,787,449, I am in communication with the development team and will update you as soon as I have information on this.

Hi Arizona,

Thanks for your patience. I have received response from our development team about your query. Please check the following detail.

*The file format (Docx) is of course not in the violation of the patent.

Only the Custom XML feature of Microsoft Word was in violation of the patent. Starting from Microsoft Word 2013, Microsoft removed the Custom XML feature from Microsoft Word, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2761189

It was Microsoft who was in violation of the patent. You have nothing to worry about your documents.*