Impact of 'Microsoft Exchange Online' dropping support of 'Basic Authentication'

Would IMAP client code connecting to Office only start to fail after basic authentication is dropped in Oct 2020 UPDATE: Exchange Online deprecating Basic Authentication - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Learn

Specifically would code like the one below start failing?

// Create an imapclient with host, user and password
ImapClient client = new ImapClient();
client.Host = “domain.com”;
client.Username = “username”;
client.Password = “password”;
client.SelectFolder(“InBox”);

@sraghavan,

I have observed your requirements and have created an issue with ID EMAILNET-39749 in our issue tracking system to further investigate this on our end. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be addressed.

Hi there,

I am having the very same question. Please let me know if there is any news.

Thanks

@marieke.saeij,

We request for your patience and will share the feedback with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Disabling Basic Authentication has been postponed by Microsoft. But I really would want to know what your plans are. How are you planning to handle the new situation, and what will we need to change in our source code in order to keep the Aspose mail functions working?

@marieke.saeij,

I have observed your requirements and like to share Imap/Pop3/Smtp clients are already supporting OAuth authentications. You may use it as soon as MS implements support of OAuth for these protocols. You can please visit following thread for your convenience.

1 Like

Microsoft has recently announced OAuth 2.0 Support here for IMAP in Office365.

Could Aspose.Email.Imap.ImapClient be used to connect with Office365 using OAuth2?
We have tested and found that the ImapClient works great when connecting to Gmail using OAuth2, but the ImapClient does not appear to work with Office365.

Our primary reason originally, for selecting the ImapClient from the Aspose libraries, is so that we can maintain a single code base for interfacing with any IMAP server (Gmail and Office365).

We have been successfully using the ImapClient for connecting to both exchange and gmail (with basic authentication).

Again could you please clarify whether Aspose.Email.Imap.ImapClient can be used to connect with O365 when using OAuth2 instead of Basic Authentication?

We are using the following code to create the ImapClient

_imapClient = new ImapClient
{
Host = “[outlook.office365.com](http://outlook.office365.com/)”,
Port = 993,
Username = _userName,
AccessToken = _accessToken.TokenValue,
SecurityOptions = SecurityOptions.SSLImplicit
};

@sraghavan,

I have observed your requirements and suggest you to please visit the following link for your kind reference.

I have reviewed that link, which points out how EWSClient could be used to connect to Office 365 using OAuth2. That is all great. Thank you!
My question is specific to Aspose.Email.Imap.ImapClient (which is different from Aspose.Email.Clients.Exchange.WebService.EWSClient), and whether the ImapClient can be used to connect with Office365 using OAuth 2.0?

@sraghavan

I suggest you to please visit the following thread for your convenience.