Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Inclusion of ToUnicode CMap in pdf

The content (CJK characters) of the pdf generated by Aspose.Words is not always visible in a third party Silverlight pdf viewer. We contacted the pdf viewer support with two examples the answer from them was that in cases when the content was displayed by the viewer the pdf contains an embedded ToUnicode CMap for the used Type0 font and in cases when the content is not displayed by the viewer the mapping is empty in the pdf file. Is there a way to somehow force the inclusion of this ToUnicode CMap mapping? Do you have some information when Aspose.Words includes (or not) this mapping in the created pdf? We can reproduce this issue with both pdf compliance settings (PdfA1b, Pdf15) and EmbedFullFonts property is set to false.

We are using the Aspose.Words to generate pdf based docx documents. The attached files contains a working <> and a not working example <>.

Hi Robert,


Thanks for your inquiry.

While using the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 11.11.0, I managed to reproduce this issue on my side. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. The issue ID is WORDSNET-7621. Your request has also been linked to this issue and you will be notified as soon as it is resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Robert,

Aspose.Words always includes ToUnicode CMap for all fonts which are used with non-ANSI characters. In both provided PDF documents ToUnicode CMap is included for “Arial Unicode MS” font which is used to draw CJK characters. Moreover according to PDF specification ToUnicode CMap should be used by a viewer application to extract text data from the PDF document and should not affect the visual appearance of the document.

Please feel free to ask if you will have any other questions.

Hi Robert,


It is to inform you that our development team has finished working on your issue (WORDSNET-7621) and has come to a conclusion that your issue and the behaviour you’re observing is actually not a bug in Aspose.Words. So, we’ve closed this issue as ‘Not a Bug’ (please see this post for a description). If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,