Incorrect xref in PDF

We are using Aspose to merge together MS word and Tiff files. When we open the resulting PDF in Adobe Reader, we are prompted if we want the PDF saved. Further research points to an invalid xref table. Adobe Reader is fixing the PDF and asking if we need the fixes saved,

Any ideas why this is happening?

Hi John,

Thanks for using our products.

I tried to replicate your issue but unable to reproduce the issue at our end. However, to exactly replicate your issue at our end, we would appreciate it if you can create a sample application with your template files and post here to show us the issue. This will help us regenerate the issue and get to the cause of the issue soon.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards,

attached is a sample PDF generated with our application using Aspose.

It turns out the process is not being handled by Aspose. We are using itext for the merging.

My bad.

I’m know being told it is an Aspose issue. Please let me know what you find out.

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the resultant PDF document with us.

Can you please share some details regarding sample source code and source documents you are using to generate the attached PDF document. This will help us to figure out the exact issue and reply back to you soon.

We are realy sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards,

attached is sample code an input file (ms word) and the resulting output (pdf). When you open the PDF in adobe, you are asked if you want to save the file. Adobe claims the file is structured incorrectly. The xref table is missing or invalid.

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the details. However, As your request is related to Aspose.Words, I am moving your request in Aspose.Words forum. My colleagues from Aspose.Words component team will answer you shortly.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi
John,

Thanks for your inquiry. Perhaps you’re using an older version of Aspose.Words; as with Aspose.Words v11.0.0, I was unable to reproduce this issue on my side. I would suggest you please upgrade to the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. v11.0.0. Moreover, please read the following article on How-to: Migrate to Aspose.Words 10.5 or Higher:
http://docs.aspose.com/display/wordsnet/How+to++Migrate+to+Aspose.Words+10.5+or+Higher

I hope, this will help.

Best Regards,

migrated to version 11 and Acrobat reader is still asking if we need to save the PDF file. I'm being told by adobe that it wants to save the PDF so it can correct how it was built.

You mentioned you could not reporduct the error. Can you share how it is being envoked?

Our last post we sent the app. we are using.

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I’m afraid I cannot reproduce the issue on my side either as well. Please find the attached output PDF to my post. Can you test this on your side to see if the save dialog appears with this file?

Thanks,

the output you sent is in PDF/A format. We do not get the error when we convert to PDF/A. It is when we convert to PDF that we are getting the error.

How are you generating the output PDF file? In one of my poist I attached the file "wordconverter.cs" does that look correct?

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional information. I am afraid, with Aspose.Words v11.0.0, I was still unable to reproduce this problem on my side. I have attached the PDF i.e. generated on my side here for your reference. Also, I used the following simple code:

Document doc = new
Document(@“c:\temp\20110926003_456789-3_2.doc”);
doc.Save(@“c:\temp\out.pdf”);

Moreover, your code seems to be correct. Could you please double check if your Aspose.Words reference was updated properly in your project. Also, please try creating a new console application and let us know your findings then.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hi there,

In addition to Awais’s comments, I too was unable to reproduce any issue. Are you sure you are not post processing your PDF in any way after saving using Aspose.Words?

Thanks,

this is the end users word doc. Can you send me your results and I will double check with what we are getting. THere are other processes such as iText, however a straight word to pdf should not be passing through this process.

Thansk for all of the help!

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional information. I have attached here the PDF file i.e. generated on my side here for your reference. I was still unable to reproduce this issue on my side.

If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,