Insert Text After a Content Control using DocumentBuilder

Hello,

We have a requirement, where

1- Code needs to find that content control by matching the “databinding” field.
2- We need to insert a text after a content control and remove that content control.

More details…

First:

This is my content control in the docx. I want to find this content control using the xpath field. I cannot use Tag or anyother things to find this content control in the document. I have looked at your documentation and couldn’t find anything about this. I saw some examples where it can get the content control using Tag but that’s not required in this scenario.

<w:sdt>
	<w:sdtPr>
		<w:tag w:val="Level1"/>
		<w:id w:val="1192111201"/>
		<w:dataBinding w:xpath="ns0:Cert[1]/ns0:ChangeReasonNotes"
					   w:storeItemID="{70B34362-E6E2-4414-9305-644D2EB8EC01}"/>
		<w:text/>
	</w:sdtPr>
	<w:sdtEndPr/>
	<w:sdtContent>
		<w:r w:rsidR="00A71A52">
			<w:t>{Change Reason Notes}</w:t>
		</w:r>
	</w:sdtContent>
</w:sdt>

Second:

Once I found the content control, need to navigate next to the content control, Insert the Text and delete the content control. I have attached an image that shows where I need to insert the Text. If you open the image, the orange content control is the one I described in “First”, I have to insert the text right next to it.

Can you please send me the code to do this as I couldn’t find anything in your docs about this. Also it should use DocumentBuilder.

@imran.khan1 can you please attach the image that you mention, or better, the current input and expected output documents (doc, docx).

I have attached the images. The name of the images is self-explanatory but if there is any confusion, please let me know.

This is the initial Document looks like
Initial_Doc.JPG (9.7 KB)

After Inserting Text next to the content control ( found by databinding - xpath)
After_Inserting_Text.JPG (12.7 KB)

Removing the Content Control - Final Outcome
Final_Outcome.JPG (8.9 KB)

@imran.khan1
First:
To search for an SDT using xpath, please use the following code:

StructuredDocumentTag sdt = (StructuredDocumentTag)doc.GetChildNodes(NodeType.StructuredDocumentTag, true).FirstOrDefault(item => ((StructuredDocumentTag)item).XmlMapping.XPath == path);

Second:
The easiest way to replace the SDT with another element is using the following code:

var p = new Paragraph(doc);
p.AppendChild(new Run(doc) { Text = "Replacement" });
sdt.ParentNode.InsertBefore(p, sdt);

sdt.Remove();

I am looking for an approach to achieve the same using the DocumentBuilder class. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

About Second part, I want to do that using DocumentBuilder, as I might need to insert image\text or HTML. I said “Text” initially just to make it simple.

Please let me know

@imran.khan1 Thank you for the additional information. The simplest approach to achieve what you want is to append a paragraph as I posted in my first reply. You can then use that paragraph to move the cursor of the document builder to the right position. Please refer to the following example:

var html = @"<style type=""text/css""> 
    ol,ul {margin: 0px 0px -100px 0px;} 
</style>
<span style='font-family: ""Times New Roman""; font-size: 12pt;'>
    <p>New paragraph test.</p>
    <br>    <br> 
    <ol>
            <li>Line 1</li>
            <li>Line 2</li>
    </ol>
</span>";

Document doc = new Document("C:\\Temp\\Test.docx");
var path = @"/ns1:coreProperties[1]/ns0:description[1]";
StructuredDocumentTag sdt = (StructuredDocumentTag)doc.GetChildNodes(NodeType.StructuredDocumentTag, true).FirstOrDefault(item => ((StructuredDocumentTag)item).XmlMapping.XPath == path);
if(sdt != null)
{
    DocumentBuilder builder = new DocumentBuilder(doc);

var p = new Paragraph(doc);

// If I need to append text add runs
    p.AppendChild(new Run(doc) { Text = "Replacement" });

sdt.ParentNode.InsertBefore(p, sdt);

// If I need to append something else, point to the paragraph
    builder.MoveTo(p);

// Insert HTML if it's required
    builder.InsertHtml(html);

// Insert image if it´s required
    builder.InsertImage("C:\\Temp\\img.png");

sdt.Remove();
}

doc.Save("C:\\Temp\\output.docx");

Test.docx (20.3 KB)
output.docx (23.6 KB)

That worked. Thank you !

1 Like

One more question. Whatever I insert as html, it uses the “Times New Roman” fonts (size 12). How to enforce document fonts?

nvm. I got it. Thanks !

@imran.khan1 That’s great. If you have any other doubts, don’t hesitate to post them.