Is Aspose.Pdf .net supported under Mono on Linux?

Hi, i noticed there were a few questions on this back on 2016, at that time it looked like mono support under Linux was a potential future enhancement, was there any progress on this?

I am evaluating Aspose.pdf for potential use in our applications some of which run on bespoke instrumentation hardware that run under Debian (currently v9) with mono .net support and can also run under windows so we need a library that can work under both environments.

I have put together the basic ‘hello world’ example using the latest release of your .net libraries (specifically net4.0, Aspose.PDF.dll file version 20.5.0.0 targeting .Net Framework 4.7.2) which works under windows and compiles ok under mono but when i run it under mono an exception is raised when i call document.save() and an empty pdf file is created.

The exception is ‘System.NullReferenceException’ raised inside Aspose.PDF with the message ‘Object reference not set to an instance of an object’.

I think i read elsewhere on your site that mono under linux was supported, can you confirm either way?

Thanks for reading

@garycu,

Thanks for contacting support.

I like to inform that Aspose.PDF .NET has .NET Core versions (.NET Standard 2.0, 2.1) which can be run in Linux environment.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I referenced the ‘net standard 2.0’ editions of your Aspose.PDF.dll in both my mono and windows projects both targeting the .net framework version 4.7.2 (which should be fully compliant with .net standard 2.0). The version of mono i am using is 6.8.0.105.

On mono i still get the ‘System.NullReferenceException’ raised from Aspose.PDF

On windows i get:

#=zW0xmVBl$gzg354m32KY1$HMirdVpfyYm$r8ZEl4=
HResult=0x80131600
Message=Parsing of table ‘name’ has failed.
Source=Aspose.PDF

Inner Exception 1:
FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Text.Encoding.CodePages, Version=4.1.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

At some point in the near(ish) future we will be looking to fully migrate to .net core as our target runtime until then we need a solution that will run by targeting the .net framework (4.7.2 or later) in both environments.

Thanks
Gary

@garycu,

Can you please share sample project reproducing issue to further investigate this on our end. Also please share source files as well.