Is there a way to open excel to view a xlsx file

Is there a way to open an excel file in Excel for viewing from java using aspose cells? Either from teh file system or the workbook object or stream?

@jt10,

If you just need to open the generated Excel file (by Aspose.Cells APIs) into MS Excel, you may easily do that, see the thread for your reference:

In Jsp/servlets based web application, you may use response object, see the document for your reference:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/poi-user/201012.mbox/<F1AF3C39-7A0C-40FA-8A7C-F192104AA481@jmlafferty.com>

However, if you want MS Excel like GUI (jsp/servlets based) control, you may consider using Aspose.Cells.GridWeb (Java) - A grid control that is specifically designed to work on web environments. It is an independent Java control where you may load Excel files into its grid matrix to view, create/design worksheets and update/ manipulate the data into the cells in WYSIWYG (visual) manner. It can load, manipulate/edit and save/re-save Excel files on the fly, everything in your browser type.

Please see the documents / articles for your reference:

Also, download the VS.NET featured demos “Examples.GridWeb” @ Github repos:

Hope, this helps a bit.

I will give those links a try. Basically I was looking to create a preview button on my webpage that will open the xlsx file which I output from aspose cells, after I modify the file in java with aspose.
I add data to the excel template and output the file to the file system in java with aspose. I am able to manually browse to the new file and it all opens and works, was just looking to add this functionality to the page itself to be able to access the new file.

@jt10,

Please take your time to evaluate Aspose.Cells.GridWeb (Java) if it suits your needs. Moreover, you may also try to use Sheet to Image feature by Aspose.Cells API itself which you may use as a static preview of different sheets in the workbook, see the document for your reference: